footer 1

What's Happening in:  East Passyunk Crossing 

Why Colombo’s fire started – plus pics of ruined restaurant

A source who was poking around Colombo’s Friday said that after a preliminary check, investigators believe that the fire that torched the restaurant last week was started because of a hard-wired electrical problem.

Looks more ominous than it is

There were no signs of a grease fire, said the source, who is familiar with the investigation but didn’t want his name used. The fire department confirmed they suspect that an electrical issue in the restaurant caused the fire, though a final determination hasn’t been made. There were no signs of an accelerant or anything else suspicious (despite the ethnically insensitive comments on our last post).

Note the smoke damage

Inside on Friday, the smell of smoke lingered and an eerie light filtered through the open door when the investigators let us creep inside to take pictures. Piles of broken glass and destroyed furniture littered the floor. An investigator in the kitchen was training his flashlight on an electrical panel, but we weren’t allowed in to poke around.

One striking thing was how big the place is – enough space for at least 80 seats. Good news is that the damage doesn’t appear structural, so the building wouldn’t need to be torn down. That means it will possibly clear the way for someone else to swoop in and take advantage of all that potential.

So, what do you think should go in there, folks? What don’t we have that we need? And who should be the one to do it?

One half the dining room, kitchen’s through the door with the diamond window
The other half of the dining room
Another view
Holes firefighters busted through the walls for ventilaion
From the back of the second half



4 Responses to Why Colombo’s fire started – plus pics of ruined restaurant

  1. Anonymous August 13, 2012 at 6:14 pm #

    This is such a good spot. I’d love to see a high end diner type place there. Not another Melrose or Broad Street but something unique and delicious.

  2. P'unk August 14, 2012 at 1:17 am #

    Yes! Like Silk City Diner, maybe

  3. Anonymous August 14, 2012 at 5:08 pm #

    Yes, but the old one. I miss the old Silk City Diner.

  4. Electrical contractor November 28, 2012 at 1:57 pm #

    Plug sockets, or power outlets, are one of the primary danger spots for children. To prevent curious fingers poking into places where they shouldn’t, install plug socket covers to every power outlet in the home. Choose socket covers that have a twist and pull mechanism or ones that require the plug to be used as a key for removal.

Copyright 2013 Passyunk Post | WordPress customized by Auspicious Consulting