What's Happening in:  Passyunk Square

Miss Lilia’s General Store will be the organic grocer at 12th and Dickinson

12th and Dickinson

We were able to connect with Jessica Caldwell, who will be opening the shop at 12th and Dickinson we told you about last week. And the best part is that it’s going to be more than just an organic grocer.

The store will be named Miss Lilia’s General Store, after her 22-month-old daughter. Caldwell told us she plans to “take the corner grocery/convenience store to the next level” with a selection of quality¬†produce with emphasis on local and organic, plus grocery products, fresh coffee, bakery items and deli meats & cheeses.

“We hope this summer to also serve ice cream and expand our deli to offer sandwiches and salads, providing seating outside so people can soak up the¬†nice weather when it finally gets here,” Caldwell said.

Another twist on the concept is that she plans to plans to also sell vintage home decor items like cookery, wall hangings and other knickknacks.

“Since we’re also a family of collectors, we’ll be selling vintage and antique pieces to give it that true general store feel, taken from mine and my mother’s Etsy site Yard Sale Sisters,” she said. Stuff like this:

A tin canteen from the 1950s, lined with a mason jar inside, $19

Wooden, 14 inches long, $42

Neat. She said she hopes to open in late February, though we’re skeptical on that since the construction outside is still going on and Caldwell is still working full time managing a retail store. We’re putting the over-under at March 15. Any takers?

, , , ,

12 Responses to Miss Lilia’s General Store will be the organic grocer at 12th and Dickinson

1. Bri February 6, 2013 at 10:48 am #

That is AMAZING! I just hope it doesn’t become the Green Eggs of that block and impossible for locals to actually go to. I live right nextdoor to Green Eggs and the brunch crowd that comes out on the weekends is insane.

2. catdoc February 6, 2013 at 12:56 pm #

Don’t we already have Plenty and Green Aisle and Black n Brew right around the corner on Passyunk. And the south philly food co-op on the rise?
    I would dig the housewares concept over the food concept. This doesn’t sound like its worth losing my parking over.

• Me February 6, 2013 at 2:18 pm #

If youve ever been to those places, and if you can read and actually read the description of this place, then you should be able to see the difference. If you dont like new developments and want more parking, move to Jersey.

• catdoc February 6, 2013 at 2:53 pm #

I have been to all of those places, can read and educated enough to understand it. The description doesn’t offer anything new except the housewares which I said would be a great thing. Insulting someone by asking if they can read just points out the fact that perhaps you dont understand what you are reading. I am allowed to disagree without being insulting.

“with a selection of quality produce with emphasis on local and organic, plus grocery products”
        Why yes Green Aisle has that, + the farmers market & what south philly food co-op is working towards

“fresh coffee, bakery items”
        Black N Brew, Plenty, B2, Belle, etc

“deli meats & cheeses”
        Plenty, Green Aisle, Ippoloitos has this

I like any new business coming to the area. I just hope people who start these business take a look around the neighborhood and see what the area needs so they can create a business that will last for years to come.

3. Concerned Citizen February 6, 2013 at 1:11 pm #

Truly concerned for this owner. While the concept sounds great and I wish her the best, I hope she is aware of who she’s dealing with. The owners of this building are very difficult, cruel and at times, unlawful.

• Me February 6, 2013 at 2:19 pm #

The building is for sale.

• Albert Stumm February 6, 2013 at 2:25 pm #

We talked to the realtor, who said the owner decided to lease instead of sell

4. RMD February 6, 2013 at 5:06 pm #

I’m excited for something new in the neighborhood. The concept sounds fun, I hope it works out! Of course there are already lots of other places to grab a sandwich and groceries and housewares, but that doesn’t mean this one won’t be a success. Options are good to have! Each place has its own unique offering, be it a certain type of vibe, product, atmosphere, pricing strategy, etc.

To differentiate from Green Aisle grocery-wise, I’d LOVE to not feel like the markup was insane. My 2 cents! Foodwise, I’d say, remember your neighborhood vegans :)

• catdoc February 6, 2013 at 9:19 pm #

RMD – I hope it does work out as well, I do like having options, hopefully it will be unique. I guess that is what I am hoping for….options and not the same thing the others have. Hopefully it is bigger than Green (tiny) Aisle and you are right it is hard to find that last minute vegan cheese, Tofu or snack when you need it. hint hint

5. Jessica Caldwell February 7, 2013 at 5:04 pm #

Thanks for all the responses! We’ve had the chance to meet many neighbors in the area and talk to them about what we’ll be doing, but its wonderful to get the word out and see everyones opinions. I’m so open to hearing everyones thoughts and ideas, negative or positive, because this store is for all of you!

• Briana February 28, 2013 at 11:20 am #

Walked by the other day and it’s still in development, although the end of February opening date was a bit optimistic. Any word on when it’s opening??? Looking forward to getting good, but inexpensive produce without the crowds of the Italian Market! Also, what kind of coffee do you think you’ll have?

• Albert Stumm February 28, 2013 at 11:27 am #

I’ll check in with her today, Briana