Here’s what your house is worth under AVI

Click the link below to get to this

The Mayor’s Office just released all the new values of homes in the entire city, so now at least you can estimate what you are probably going to have to pay.

Here’s how it works. Go to this website and enter your address to find the assessed value. Either say a prayer of thanks or curse the assessor who laid eyes upon your home.

Then it gets a little complicated. City Council has not actually set the tax rate that will be applied to your new value, and that will depend on whether they decide to pass any relief measures for homeowners. Those could include the homestead exemption (remember that?) or other ways of mitigating tax increases on long-term homeowners or the elderly. Fiddle with the slider on the right where it says tax rate to estimate what you might pay.

So, what do you think? Are you surprised at your home’s new value? Tell us in the comments if you’re screwed or relieved.

13 Responses to Here’s what your house is worth under AVI

1. Brandon G February 15, 2013 at 3:28 pm #

well thats a depressing thing to start the weekend. My taxes jump $2k with a 30k homestead exemption.

2. Dan February 15, 2013 at 3:34 pm #

Well, my landlord is screwed, so I guess that means I’m screwed, too.

3. SH February 15, 2013 at 3:41 pm #

Way to fuck over a growing homeowner base, Philadelphia!

4. AGS February 15, 2013 at 4:04 pm #

so many homes have been grossly undervalued over the past decade b/c of major neighborhood revitalization projects, which means the city has been wanting in this particular revenue stream. you bought in an “up and coming” neighborhood b/c you wanted to make an investment and see the value of your home increase, right? take the tax increase as validation that you made a wise investment in a booming neighborhood that has increased your home value, and stop complaining. besides, its not like its going to increase that much overnight.

• ME February 15, 2013 at 5:25 pm #

My taxes will go up 111.5%. that is a large overnight increase.

5. KB February 15, 2013 at 4:21 pm #

My taxes will increase by $1,225 without the exemption. (+115%). Slightly less with the exemption. I can afford it and it’s not the worst thing ever, but it’s still kinda depressing. What sucks is that the assessments don’t seem consistent from house to house on the same block.

6. DM February 16, 2013 at 10:45 am #

AVI was only one piece. The mayor and city council need to work on lowering the city wage tax rate to attract more companies with more jobs. Without more jobs, there will be less residents and those fewer residents will continue to pay more taxes for less services. The tax base must be expanded ASAP or no one will be left to pay all of these taxes.

7. Jim February 17, 2013 at 7:55 am #

Agree AGS. Before the AVI numbers, I was paying hundreds of dollars more in taxes compared to my neighbors. Our houses are practically identical. Now with the new numbers we are all paying around the same. Houses worth twice as much as mine were paying half as much in taxes before AVI. Sorry to those that saw increases but this was way overdue. The old system was not fair for many of us paying more taxes for homes worth less money.

8. Ian February 18, 2013 at 9:16 am #

It seems like going from just over $1,000 in taxes to $2,800 all at once is a little crazy, right?

Plus, my next-door neighbor’s house is pretty much identical to mine, but is valued at $70,000 less.

Not saying that we shouldn’t pay more, but it seems like there are a few kinks still to be worked out.

I also thought that we paid low property taxes here because we paid a higher wage tax, and businesses pay the BPT, which is higher here than in many other places (and let’s not forget the school tax, as well). If we also pay higher property taxes now, then what’s the incentive for people to move here? It’s certainly not the schools, or the cleanliness of the streets, or the friendliness of the public employees, or the reliability of the public transit system. All those things are what taxes are for, right?

Unfortunately, the great reasons that there are to move here have nothing to do with (and in fact, may be in spite of) the city government.

• Korey February 20, 2013 at 11:35 am #

Amen!!! I proudly own a home here partly because I pay relatively low property taxes and don’t have kids. I am also self employed so already paying NPT and BPT to the city. If the city jacks up property taxes people with children will likely consider moving to the suburbs or NJ where at least the public schools are good. Tread carefully, City Hall.

• Teletron February 21, 2013 at 9:50 am #

What do you think you do in that instance–your assessment seems accurate, but everyone on your block with similar homes got assessed at a lower value? I am in the same boat and have very mixed feelings about whether or not it’s appropriate to appeal. I want to pay my fair share, but something doesn’t totally sit right with me when I look at it in the context of the entire block . Plus, if there are tons of appeals and they have to raise the rate further to make up for the lost anticipated revenue, then you wind up losing out even further.

9. Michael February 20, 2013 at 1:24 pm #

No complaints here. I feel my property has been assessed accurately, maybe a little low actually. We’ve been getting by paying lower property taxes in relation to the value of our properties for a while now. Compared to sections like the Northeast and the Northwest we’ve been getting away with murder. Hope the final outcome of all this makes it more fair for the city as a whole

10. DMG February 20, 2013 at 11:46 pm #

who did the assessments and what is their criteria? after looking a bunch of addresses of houses I know personally, that sold recently, there is a wide variation between the assessed value and the sale prices of the homes. some houses are assessed close to or above their sale price, where others are assessed for far less, sometimes half, even a third, of the sale price. It would appear to me that the assessments are still not well grounded in “actual value”