What's Happening in:  Passyunk Square

Rumor Mill: Is the Acme at 10th & Reed being sold?

Technically, yes, the Acme at 10th and Reed is being sold. But don’t get your hopes up just yet for a giant, mixed-use project anchored by a mystical, urban Wegman’s.

We’ve been getting emails inquiring about Acme rumors ever since it was announced that the grocery chain’s parent company announced in January that it was selling all Acmes, as well as Albertsons, Jewel-Osco, Shaw’s and Star Market stores, to a private equity firm. The sale of all 877 stores is supposed to close March 31.

“Rumor, speculation and just plain ole wishful thinking, is all that I am hearing from people in our neighborhood as it pertains to Acme,” said Pam Zenzola, president of the board of the Passyunk Square Civic Association. “What I keep telling everyone, it is not just OUR Acme that is for sale, Supervalue is selling five of their grocery chains, including Acme. Who knows, the new owner may decided to keep all of the Acme stores just as they are….or not!  Hopefully whatever happens we end up with a grocery store in our neighborhood!”

The new buyer is a turnaround expert, which gives us hope since Acme costs more and has worse selection than basically any other grocery store around here. Or, says one analyst quoted in this blog post, the new buyer will just close a bunch of stores.

Meanwhile, it doesn’t appear that Acme owns the real estate, which the city says is valued at $3.46 million. A company called Susteve LLC took over the property in 2009 for $3. So maybe they’ll look to cash in on the land, and maybe we can eventually get that mixed-use project everyone keeps dreaming about.

Need us to get to the bottom of any other rumors? Email us at and we’ll check it out.

, ,

11 Responses to Rumor Mill: Is the Acme at 10th & Reed being sold?

1. Adam Z February 21, 2013 at 11:05 am #

I don’t think Wegman’s business model goes for urban stores. Whole Foods or Trader Joe’s, however…now that would be wonderful.

2. fmd February 21, 2013 at 11:50 am #

I hope not or at least that it will remain a food store. This is the only food major store within walking distance to my house and I don’t drive…

3. Dan February 21, 2013 at 12:04 pm #

Too large for a Trader Joe’s, and Whole Foods already is expanding their Callowhill location, and 10th & South isn’t very far. Hopefully they don’t close and leave it vacant.

4. Dan P. February 21, 2013 at 2:09 pm #

Piazza at Moyamensing Prison!

It should be the town square of South Philadelphia, not a huge underused parking lot. Here’s hoping. Maybe 20-30 years from now it will be.

5. Melissa February 21, 2013 at 4:47 pm #

I hope it stays or we at least get something like Trader Joe’s. Acme has really improved lately.

6. Lucy PW February 27, 2013 at 6:01 pm #

Acme is THE MOST miserable grocery store I have ever set foot in. The store is generally depressing with regards to its aesthetics, the selection is horrible, and the prices are ridiculous. If this is an improvement I shudder to think about what it must have been like before… Having (literally) just returned from a shopping visit there and I feel disgusted. I’m disgusted with myself for shopping there and I’m disgusted I paid as much as I did for my groceries. I feel dirty and ashamed.

I know nothing of Wegman’s, but I do hope for a grocery store that is neither Acme, Whole Foods nor Trader Joe’s. The thing I love about this neighborhood is its lack of pretension. I just want to make a quick run to the grocery store without feeling like I’ve been robbed every time I go.

• Briana March 5, 2013 at 12:45 pm #

What about the huge farmer’s market that’s in Suburban Square in Ardmore? It’s right next to the Trader Joe’s. I used to go there while at St. Joe’s and just loved getting produce, baked goods, dairy, etc. there. Like a mini Reading Terminal Market. The space can certainly handle it and this way we can have a farmer’s market year-round. Yes, the Italian Market is right there, but who wouldn’t like to do that kind of shopping indoors during the winter and without the tourist crowds?

• Sam Martin March 9, 2013 at 3:37 pm #

Sale is closing March 18, after which leases and buildings are expected to be sold. The real estate is worth more than the small dwindling profits Acme makes, that is why it was sold to a liquidator Superstale Superfresh at 10th & South GOUGES the public even more with inferior merchandise and higher pricing. Please patronize Jimmy Colligas ShopRite for quality merchandise, priced competitively by a God fearing American family ownership.

7. Jeff Metzger March 9, 2013 at 3:17 pm #

SETTLEMENT DATE: MARCH 18 According to very strong industry sources, the new entity is now shopping all Acme and Shaws, many of which are underperforming big time, on the real estate market to determine how much revenue it might fetch for its investment. As an example, last June 1, Acme opened a brand-new market in Bryn Mawr, costing $14 million to construct. Guess what? Commercial veteran realtor I. Hines, with a mainline realtor, says building will most likely bring in less than $10 million. Just like Genuardi’s, the Acme banner will surely disappear. Please shop Jimmy Colligas ShopRite at Snyder Plaza. He gives much to the community and does not brag. Two years ago, Jimmy conrtibuted thousands of dollars to help keep Stiffel Senior Center open on Porter Street, and when the goal was not reached, Jewish Federation wanted to return sum to him. He said NO, use it for something to help needy people. God Bless Jimmy and ShopRite, the only supermarket which is honest with great prices, merchandise and an owner who shares his life with US.

8. Joe Brown March 10, 2013 at 2:13 pm #

Susteve LLC, which purchased the Acme building several years ago, for a very cheap price, is the same owner of Asian supermarkets at 6th, and 11th & Washington Avenue. what a coincidence??? With all the Mexican and Asian folks moving in the neighborhood, very few of us will still converse in English! will release a list of Acme closings soon, according to the man who sells Inkies and DNs at the corner newstand.

9. Super Fresh clerk March 10, 2013 at 4:29 pm #

Please do not blame Super Fresh employees for the outlandish prices we have. Our owner, A&P, is now controlled by Ronald Wayne Burkle, a very large contributor to President Obama, who milks the name of supermarkets and overcharges shoppers with inferior product, while sending millions to democrat party. Many of us SF people, purchase many of our own groceries at either ALDI or ShopRite. God Bless this neighborhood, and hopefully we will get more honest grocers like James Colligas.