What's Happening in:  Passyunk Square

That’s-a one-a fine-a landlord at FrancoLuigi’s!

Sorry if that headline is offensive to our Italian-American readers, but what else can you say for a landlord who gives away his pizza to good tenants?

Looking nice at night, from the shop's website

Looking nice at night, from the shop’s website

The Insider had an interesting little post yesterday about Franco Borda, the owner of FrancoLuigi’s, which has been dishing out pies at 13th and Tasker since 1982. Borda owns more than a dozen rentals in the neighborhood and gives a free pizza to every tenant who pays their rent on or before the first of the month.

It seems to work, he says, because 95 percent of his tenants show up religiously on or before the first to claim the pizza.

Mmmm, fiscally delicious…

But another reason we decided to post this is because we’ve never been there and wanted to do a little crowd-sourcing. So, how do the pizzas here stack up to the rest in the neighborhood?

, ,

15 Responses to That’s-a one-a fine-a landlord at FrancoLuigi’s!

1. Dan March 12, 2013 at 12:05 pm #

The pizza is pretty good, they’re super friendly, and their $5 tomato pie is the best deal in the neighborhood.

2. Bri March 12, 2013 at 12:12 pm #

I live down the street and only order from Franco’s. The Pavarotti pizza is the best, but plain and other pies are really good. Who doesn’t love the Frank Sinatra playing on the outside speakers, or the framed picture inside of his miniature schnauzer?? You can also get a six pack of Peroni with your pie! My idea for Carmen’s Kitchen was for Borda to buy it and make a late night slice shop.

3. Reid March 12, 2013 at 12:13 pm #

Best slice shop in the neighborhood that I’ve found. Solid every time and cheap too.

4. Other Dan March 12, 2013 at 12:13 pm #

I’ve only been there a couple times, mostly for slices, and I would not hesitate to return.

5. m March 12, 2013 at 12:14 pm #

Love their Mama’s Homestyle!

6. MP March 12, 2013 at 12:23 pm #

My wife and I consider FranoLuigi’s to have some of the best pizzas in South Philly. We’re especially big fans of their pizzazz pie with hot peppers.

7. Former Reader March 12, 2013 at 12:57 pm #

What a hilarious title! Please, make fun of the way some other ethnic groups and/or people from other countries speak.

• Albert Stumm March 12, 2013 at 1:13 pm #

Well, Former Reader, I hope you’re not gone for long. It really was intended as more of an homage to the way some of our neighbors speak, rather than making fun of them. I love their accents!

8. ec March 12, 2013 at 2:06 pm #

Big fan of their pizza and sandwiches. The pizza has been consistently good since I’ve been going there over the last 6 years. Definitely recommended.

9. BJ Guzzi March 12, 2013 at 2:11 pm #

Love the Mama’s Homestyle and the tuna italiano sandwhich. Real friendly inside as well and the music playing is a lovely pick-me-up when I walk my dog by each night.

10. Neighbor March 12, 2013 at 2:35 pm #

The pizza is good but you need to order a pie to really enjoy it, individual slices don’t do it. I am NOT crazy about the music playing outside at night, it’s a nuisance at 11 pm on a weeknight.

11. Big Fan March 12, 2013 at 4:21 pm #

This really is some of the best pizza in the area. For the size and quality of ingredients, the prices are more than fair. My favorites are the Mario Lanza and the New York, New York, but they really are all delicious.

12. Nearby March 12, 2013 at 7:20 pm #

Good pizza. Staff gets a little to grumpy. There is some dude with a long face that seems to have a chip on his shoulder. And the owner is a bit in your face. We get it S. Philly is tough, but you own a business treat me like I’m handing you money.

13. Dan P. March 13, 2013 at 11:33 am #

When my wife and I lived at 6th and Bainbridge we used to get Franco’s delivered. The chicken cutlet with rabe and sharp provolone white pizza was our go-to. Since moving to vegetarian, it has been replaced by the Pavarotti (white pizza with rabe and fresh tomato and sharp provolone). Both are great. We never knew where they were located. Just had the phone number and would make the call two or three times a month and dutifully wait the 40-45 minutes (they are busy… what are you gonna do?) When we were searching for houses in 2008 we found ourselves looking at the one we’re in now at 12th and Dickinson. We took a walk around the block and… lo and behold… FrancoLuigi’s! We wouldn’t even have to cross a major street to get there! Pretty much sealed the deal on getting that house. Also… I’ll vouch for the staff. In the 100 or so times I’ve been there to pick up an order since 2008, I’ve never been met with anything but courtesy, politeness and prompt service (even back when I first started). Great place!

14. Cat March 29, 2013 at 10:40 am #

It’s a decent neighborhood pizzeria. It’s not going to knock your socks off but it’s reliable, consistent and tasty. The white pies are especially good and the Pizzazz is a guilty pleasure. Guilty because I’m a bit of a pizza purist and American cheese has no place on a pizza. Next door they have a full restaurant with live music…..the price points seem a little steep but I would like to try it out sometime.