Let’s make this the start of a pet poop crusade

Sure, litter is a big problem in parts of South Philly. But even that nagging issue is tolerable compared to the ever-present danger of stepping in dog shit left by some shithead pet owner and tracking it into the house.

We’re sick of it, so it’s time we got into the shame game.

That’s why we snapped this picture of a placard posted by a resident of the 1600 block of South 12th Street.

This is what happens when you cross the 1600 block of S. 12th St.

This is what happens when you cross the 1600 block of S. 12th St.

We’re baffled that in this day and age, putrid piles of poop still dot sidewalks and tree pits all over South Philly. And you know that people won’t leave it if someone’s watching.

So, do you have video of a bad neighbor who didn’t clean up after their dog? Send it to us at and we’ll post it online. Maybe we can also incorporate some kind of scarlet P in this.

After all, the Passyunk Post team does not include a dog, so we sure as hell don’t want to clean up after yours.

14 Responses to Let’s make this the start of a pet poop crusade

1. Craig April 22, 2013 at 4:11 pm #

Completely agreed, and as a dog owner who diligently picks up my own dog’s feces it infuriates me all the more.

My only concern with this street-watching big brother shaming thing is that its kind of hard to catch someone in the act of actually leaving a dog’s shit on the ground unless you are totally insane and have nothing else whatsoever to do with your life. So, not sure you’d actually be sure you had an actual culprit or not.

The truly incomprehensible thing is when people go to the trouble of bagging the shit and THEN leave it on the ground! This practice is rampant and completely bizarre. But, we do live in a place where people think that a sewer grate is a trashcan, so what do you expect.

2. iamkbro April 23, 2013 at 9:05 am #

I couldn’t agree more! This HAS TO STOP! It’s disgusting. and EVERYWHERE in my South Philly neighborhood. I’m always on the lookout for a perpetrator… or should I say POOPetrator.

3. Scoop It April 23, 2013 at 10:18 am #

I live up the road and this drives me nuts as well. It’s INCREDIBLY rude. These must be the same people that throw trash on the ground…

4. Keelababaza April 23, 2013 at 10:45 am #

My husband created the sign in the photo. Someone was repeatedly using the sidewalk along the parking lot as their dogs personal toilet, specifically the area by the driveway. We were disgusted by this so my husband created the sign and put it in an orange cone along the blue wall. It stopped immediately! We only had the sign up for a week but haven’t had an issue with it since. We did save the sign in case we need to use it again. :)

• lawgirl3278 April 23, 2013 at 11:23 am #

Bravo to you and your husband. We had a repeat offender near our home. I don’t know if my neighbor caught him/her, but it’s been fairly clean since. Although I saw three massive piles right next to each other on Morris walking to the subway. So disgusting.

• bjbene April 23, 2013 at 1:17 pm #

I walk my dog past that lot all the time. It’s been a mess of broken glass and poop. I usually have plenty of bags, but every once in a while my dog has a “bonus round” and I’m mortified if I can’t clean it up right then and there! It’s not hard to just go back later and take care of it.

On a semi-related note, the stray cats prefer to poop in my flower pots and on my welcome mat. If I could only get my neighbor to stop feeding them all!

• Jake spillitall May 1, 2013 at 1:42 am #

You should always have bags for the bounes round !

• Ian Toner April 23, 2013 at 3:05 pm #

In a moment of inspiration, I thought it would be a great idea for someone to go out with a can of gold spray paint and circle all the dog poop and trash on our sidewalks. After a year, we’d have beautiful, golden sidewalks everywhere. Of course, I have no energy to implement this idea. Doesn’t the Passyunk Post have some interns who can get on this?

5. Angel April 23, 2013 at 12:06 pm #

As a responsible dog-parent, I also hate seeing poop on the sidewalks. I’ve also stepped in it too many times. I’m a bit concerned about how easily a dog-poop crusade can be a anti-dog crusade. I’ve been screamed/cursed at for walking my dog down a street while holding evidence of my responsible poo disposal (a used dog poop bag that I was transporting back to my home for disposal).

“Get the f*** off my street, you disgusting pig. Don’t let your f’ing dog shit here.” Hey, good morning to you too See the blue bag of dog feces here in my hand? It wasn’t me, lady. “You f’ing pig.” Well, ok then.

Apparently, the mere existence of city dogs infuriates some people. I guess the good news is that the nice people seem to outnumber the a-holes.

• Keelababaza April 23, 2013 at 5:50 pm #

I hope our sign conveyed that we are anti-irresponsible dog owners, not anti-dog. We had a dog we loved for 16 years who spent the last four years of her life happily strolling the streets of South Philly with us following her, poop bags in hand.

6. Kate April 23, 2013 at 3:20 pm #

What would it take to get some of those solar compacting trashbins from the city on some of the residential blocks off the avenue?

• acer April 24, 2013 at 8:36 am #

it would take the neighborhood chuckleheads NOT using them as their own personal garbage dump and bringing household trash to them. unfortunately, they have shown they are not capable of such consideration for their neighbors, so we don’t get street trash cans anymore.

7. Concerned April 24, 2013 at 10:54 am #

My neighbor just lets their dog out to run around the block without a leash and then yells at the dog to get back in the house.

8. someduder April 24, 2013 at 10:05 pm #

Really? If there is anything worse than people not cleaning up after themselves its someone bitching about people not cleaning up after themselves. I clean up after my dog 99 percent out of the time, sometimes I don’t have a bag or the poop just doesn’t come up with the bag. Its EPA, the street has businesses, that said any street lined with businesses is going to have fecal matter all over it due to the amount of foot traffic; whether visible to the eye or not. Most businesses in big cities in heavy traffic areas take out the hose every morning and do a wash down. Get off your high horse and get a life. While there may be a person or two who is just rude and lazy it shouldn’t subject the rest of us to your ignorant aggression. Get a life.