Adobe Cafe is the No. 1 place for outdoor eating on Passyunk Ave.? Really?

That’s what Zagat says, anyway.

Zagat, which we normally consider a reliable source, reeeaaaaalllly missed the mark on this one. Here are their top three choices for outside eating on Passyunk Avenue: 1) Adobe Cafe, 2) Pat’s 3) Geno’s.

Are you kidding?

Adobe, that paragon of outdoor dining. Pic from TripAdvisor

Adobe, that paragon of outdoor dining. Pic from TripAdvisor

They round out the “8 Best Restaurants for Sidewalk Dining on East Passyunk” list like so:

4) Cantina,  5) Birra,  6) Le Virtu,  7) Stateside (which doesn’t even have tables outside right now),  8) POPE.

Even if somehow we’re getting the order reversed – despite the slideshow going in the typical descending order, culminating in No. 1 Adobe – what the hell are Pat’s, Geno’s and Adobe even doing in the top 8?

Now, we generally try not to criticize the hard work of other media types out there, but this was just too bad to pass up.

, , ,

11 Responses to Adobe Cafe is the No. 1 place for outdoor eating on Passyunk Ave.? Really?

1. Sam heimer May 16, 2013 at 1:03 pm #

Zagat refuses to reveal who and when they poll, and rerelease reviews on odd years. It’s not hard work, or reliable, by a long shot.

2. Jennifer May 16, 2013 at 1:22 pm #

Cantina has an entire freakin lot and giant tent dedicated to outdoor seating and they are 4th. How is that even possible?

I think whoever compiled this list has never actually been to Passyunk Avenue or the top three establishments.

• Albert Stumm May 16, 2013 at 1:26 pm #

Actually, Jennifer, we just heard from the local Zagat maven, who said the list came from headquarters in New York based on online Zagat votes. So, actually, it seems like you’re right.

3. Meg May 16, 2013 at 1:25 pm #

So give us your top 8 places to eat outside.

I mean Pat’s and Geno’s are the best if that’s the type of thing you’re looking for i.e. gross meat sandwiches and lots of drunk bros, but they wouldn’t be on my list. But I don’t really see the issue with Adobe. I’m not saying they have the best food, but I like hanging out there. But yeah instead of having an article that blasts Zagat for having an inadequate list, could you just give us one of your own? Thanks!

• Albert Stumm May 16, 2013 at 2:21 pm #

Gladly, Meg. That’s a good point.

For the BYO route, Izumi is great – even has tables across Tasker next to the fountain on the weekends. Then, even though its address is technically on 11th Street, Fond has a handful of outside tables. If you want to go cheap, you can sit outside Marras with an $11 pie and a carafe of jug wine for like $18, or Stogie Joe’s has $10 buckets of High Lifes and a good people-watching scene.

For just a quick bite and no booze, Fuel and Plenty both have outside seats and tasty, consistent food, though they’re not open late.

Aside from that, I agree about Adobe. I like the sidewalk there too, but the reason I was so taken aback was that it was No. 1. And other from the two cheesesteak joints, every one else listed is a fine spot for outside seating. The list was just so arbitrary.

Hope this helps!

4. Dave May 16, 2013 at 3:56 pm #

Why the slam on Adobe? I prefer the Adobe to Cantina any day. It’s nice and quiet outside and the wings are good. Plus you don’t get overrun with hipsters that just want to be seen. Now for Pat’s and Geno’s on the list, I can’t defend that.

5. snacky May 16, 2013 at 5:09 pm #

Who cares?

6. Kevin May 16, 2013 at 7:35 pm #

what? eating on the street at adobe is the same as eating inside. the place is filthy, lights falling down…i am surprised this place can even serve food.

• Albert Stumm May 17, 2013 at 9:52 am #

Yeah, Kevin, I should have been more clear. I like sitting and drinking outside. Eating? Not so much. Except for the wings, which are very, very good.

7. SPF5000 May 18, 2013 at 12:48 pm #

Lists like this are irrelevant because we all value different things. Each restaurant on the list is someone’s #1. Online voting doesn’t account for the millions of people who are not online; it’s not a real statistic.

8. jo June 7, 2013 at 8:53 pm #

i’m a local and altho there are many great outside places, ADOBE is underrated, my vegan friends love it , its not pretentious and the food is always good. cantina is wonderful but not everyone wants to be in the middle of the hipster capitol of the world.