What's Happening in:  East Passyunk Crossing

Why does Mamma Maria love signs so much?

It was only days ago that we told you Mamma Maria, which had been scheduled to be part of PARC’s facade program, had pulled out of the program but ended up making some aesthetic improvements on their own.

We spoke a little too soon.

Here’s the “after”:

The top one says Bella Cucina and is the green one is a rip-off of the Dos Equis commercials?

dos equis

And here’s how it was for years.

mamma old sign

Why do they love signs so much? It’s not a big deal, but a little weird, no?

, ,

10 Responses to Why does Mamma Maria love signs so much?

1. El Negro Scandaloso June 28, 2013 at 1:34 pm #

They’re compensating for their not so wonderful food. This is the most blatant violation of my eyes I’ve ever experienced. I wonder if these additions are kosher with the signage laws?

Stay Classy, S. Philly.

2. Chris June 28, 2013 at 1:52 pm #

How is that craphole still even open?

3. ave June 28, 2013 at 2:20 pm #

Perhaps it’s time for “Mamma” to go to the home. There is
    rarely ever anyone in that place anymore and the facade
    improvements are anything but. She could probably score some decent
    cash for such a large property and it would be a great space for a
    Montreal-style Greek taverna.

4. Bill June 28, 2013 at 3:08 pm #

The flower boxes were a nice attempt, but the banners are god awful. Cheapens the block for sure.

5. Mayor Nutter June 29, 2013 at 12:30 pm #

Don’t they owe back taxes? Is that vinyl over those windows at the top up to code?

6. Eric June 30, 2013 at 9:46 am #

Hilarious! The put internet banner ads on their freakin’ homemade website of a restaurant.

7. Adam July 1, 2013 at 8:24 am #

I’ve lived in this neighborhood my whole life and I don’t know anyone who has ever had a good meal there. Everytime I walk by they’re closed or the windows are covered up.

With the change in the quality of restaurants on the Avenue they need to step it up or shut down.

@ Ave – I completely agree with the Greek taverna or a decent diner.

• acer July 1, 2013 at 2:28 pm #

And to add insult to injury, aren’t they in line for that PARC facade program? I’d imagine that money would be better spent on one of the other businesses. It won’t help “mamma.”

• Albert Stumm July 1, 2013 at 2:55 pm #

They were one of the businesses to pull out of it.

8. Kitty July 8, 2013 at 4:46 pm #

I am not surprised at this passive-aggressive attempt. The people who work here are so mean. Never had polite service there, and the food was not good enough for me to look past the rudest waitstaff in South Philly. With all the other restaurants opening, they better change their attitude’s to keep up.