What's Happening in:  Bella Vista

Who is putting ‘Parking Pig’ fliers on cars?

A reader received this passive aggressive notice on her windshield last week and sent us a pic.

parking pig

Well, that’s one way to spend your time.

The loyal reader, whose identity we’ll protect against parking-crazed neighbors, said she had parked been parked in the same spot for several days.

“I was parked in front of my apartment on Passyunk at Christian street,” she wrote in an email. “I am a super considerate parker. I park where there is room and leave my car for long periods of time, so people come and go in different sized cars around me. I can’t control the spaces that are available that’s why this was so annoying. And it’s anonymous! Anyway it is also funny. ”

Yes, annoying, and yes, funny at the same time.

What’s your take? Is this a good way of addressing parking complaints?

Thanks to the faithful reader who sent us this picture. If you see something worth telling other people about – yeah, that covers a lot – snap a picture and send it to us at

25 Responses to Who is putting ‘Parking Pig’ fliers on cars?

1. Philly Ray August 7, 2013 at 9:18 am #

Where can I get some of those for my neighborhood?

2. Pennsporter August 7, 2013 at 9:24 am #

I agree with the anonymous tipster – you have no control of who parks around you, thus making you look like a
    “parking pig.” This happens often in Pennsport. Notes on cars are silly anyway, unless you bumped them and left your info.

3. RKS August 7, 2013 at 9:36 am #

Similar thing happened to me…I was parked on my street for almost a week and over the course of time several cars came and went around me. One evening I noticed that after cars infront of me and behind me left, I looked like I was taking up a couple of spots – like a “parking pig” so I did what I thought was the neighborly thing to do and I moved my car so another car could park behind me. I later went to my car and found a nasty handwritten note telling me that “we don’t save spots in South Philly.” The note went on to tell me how rude and disrespectful it is and long timers know better. Words can not describe how po’d I was…that’s the last time I moved my car to make space for someone else…

I’m still trying to figure out who might have left the note – I’ve lived on my street for over 5 years and everyone knows everyone’s cars so I don’t think it was someone on my block.

4. AnthonyG August 7, 2013 at 10:13 am #

Douche-bag!!!! I’m sure they only place the fliers before 6:00, when the chance of actually confronting someone is low.

5. fmd August 7, 2013 at 10:29 am #

Unless the parking pig flyer person is watching cars 24/7 so they actually know that someone is intentionally taking up two spaces they should shove their flyers you know where and stop their senseless littering of the city with their stupid flyers and they should also get a life.

• Sal August 7, 2013 at 11:56 am #

No, sometimes there is space for 2 cars and only two cars between two parking signs and someone will park right in the middle of the space. In that case you do not need to be “watching cars 24/7″ to know that someone was being either oblivious or inconsiderate.

6. South Philly Parking Veteran August 7, 2013 at 10:38 am #

I can’t even begin to say how much this pisses me off. Of course, they can’t be bothered to even consider that it’s not the driver of the car’s fault, because that would require empathy, consideration and experience.

People with the least experience driving and parking in the city seem to be the most self-righteous, passive aggressive sorts. Live and park in South Philly for 10 years or more and then MAYBE you have the right to call others on their parking. Please. If others’ parking bothers you that much, go rent a garage space.

7. luchobucho August 7, 2013 at 11:04 am #

this is a good time to bring up painting appropriately sized parking spaces on streets. I think the 1100 Block of Watkins has marked out spots so that its pretty clear when someone is parking like a jerk.

It doesn’t look like a streets department paint job, and they’ve only painted the corners of the spots, but it has lead to a very orderly parking environment on the street. I continue to argue that something like that should be implemented throughout south Philly where the streets are narrow and parking is at a premium.

8. Duncan August 7, 2013 at 11:13 am #

If I find the Parking Nazi putting a Parking Pig on my car, they are going to get a Parking Fist to the Parking Skull

• mark makes Itup August 7, 2013 at 2:49 pm #

Yea! Parking Pugilist lands several Parking Punches to the Parking Proboscus !! Parking Putz !

9. Taryn August 7, 2013 at 11:20 am #

Southwark Elementary is looking for volunteers for the first week of school- why doesn’t parking pig take his/her crafty paper distributing skills there and ACTUALLY help the neighborhood instead of littering it’s streets with this nonsense. If you don’t like looking for a parking space, there’s a wonderful lil scooter store here on the avenue, I’m sure they have something you can find parking for.

10. Billy August 7, 2013 at 11:26 am #

property lines should be like parking meters – overlap them & U deserve a ticket – WE need more PPA

• Dan P. August 7, 2013 at 11:52 am #

Definitely agree with everyone (except for the using property lines as parking marks… 16-ft wide houses? most cars aren’t that long… there’d be a lot of unused, wasted space). The ONLY time this might apply is if someone has the opportunity to be first in line and parks too far away from the sign that marks the boundary before the corner. Just deal folks… you can almost always find a spot within three blocks of your house. It’s a great excuse to get a little exercise.

11. Mike Hart August 7, 2013 at 12:09 pm #

The Parking Pig watcher needs to come to the 1000 block of Snyder. Got a family who puts out cones and other crap to save parking spots. They do it every day! Not just when its snowing or anything like that. They even stole a Philadelphia Water dept sign and use that to block spaces. DOnt care if parking is hard in South Philly. That is just being a bad neighbor.

• PSCA Neighborhood Ambassador (Angel) August 7, 2013 at 12:53 pm #

Call Officer Ace Delgado at 215.686.3032. If you give him the address of the property, he’ll talk to them and tell them they need to remove the cones, etc. He’s done this when asked by other PSCA neighbors and the cones have been removed.

12. Rose August 7, 2013 at 1:15 pm #

I’m with the tipster! Can’t control the fluctuation of space when you are parking over time!

• Sal August 7, 2013 at 10:12 pm #

But you can NOT DOUBLE PARK!
      The tipster didn’t deserve the “ticket” but anyone who parks like an inconsiderate a-hole DOES. Why are people defending those who are too stupid, oblivious, or inconsiderate to park efficiently??

13. M. Dill August 8, 2013 at 9:38 am #

Oh, please…Being from the city I am very “park
    conscious”. When I visit my daughter in Bella Vista, I have to move
    my car to another spot (if I can find one) after 2 hours so I don’t
    get a ticket! Told that by PPA.

14. mjg August 8, 2013 at 10:25 am #

maybe there’s an underlying issue of folks who park their cars and leave them for “several days.” then a parking mess of poorly spaced cars can stay for days on end. not sure there is an issue but if you park your car and leave it, you should make sure it’s properly spaced, or better yet, try to find a corner spot and put it right up to the sign.

• AnthonyG August 8, 2013 at 10:57 am #

@mjg: what don’t you understand about the other cars coming and going?? Seriously, park only park on a corner if I’m not gong to move my car for few days.??

This whole issue is First World Problems. Effin’ deal with it.

15. Jake August 9, 2013 at 11:17 am #

I think the issue here is not how many parking spaces are
    available… it is how many cars are in the neighborhood. For the
    most part, you don’t need a car to live in Passyunk Square. We are
    close to the subway, there are several bus lines, and it is a
    pedestrian and cyclist friendly neighborhood. You’ll do more good
    for the neighborhood by getting rid of your car than you would by
    trying to create more parking space. Seriously guys, this isn’t the

16. Merilyn Jackson August 9, 2013 at 12:25 pm #

this is way too nice. I leave really ugly notes on cars parked by people who take up two spaces or who don’t pull all the way up to handicap poles so another neighbor has a chance to park behind them. I arrived home at midnight last night. The only spot within blocks of my house was down the block from me at 9th and McKean (where there was a shooting last Sunday morning) behind a huge white van that could’ve pulled up five feet. As a woman alone, I felt I had to park there even though I blocked part of the handicap ramp. Sure enough, I had a ticket by 9 am when I went out to move the car. So you can bet the next time I see that vehicle (I took the licence number) on my block they’ll get a note and it won’t be passive/aggressive.
    As for pulling up to the handicap ramps many jerks park several feet behind them. I took out a can of white spray paint and painted a line to where you should park. I have most of my neighbors trained to park with care and when its just us, we can fit six cars on both sides of the block. But every once in a while, someone comes and does the stupid thing. If I see them, I ask them to pull up or back so they don’t block a space. If I don’t see them, I leave a note. Usually I don’t see that vehicle again, or if I do it is parked with respect to the residents. If you are going to leave your car for any length of time it would be far more considerate to make sure it is parked in such a way that it won’t take two spaces. When I leave town, I wait for an end space on the block in order to leave good parking for my neighbors.
    I am willing to bet the comments by people who don’t like the idea of getting a parking pig notice are written by people who need them most.

• Adam August 13, 2013 at 5:04 pm #

You’ve “trained” your neighbors? Really?

People getting bent out of shape about parking is comical. It’s a city. Some people are considerate. Some people are jerks. Learn to cope.

• WonderfulElectric August 14, 2013 at 1:10 pm #

You have far too much time on your hands if you’re leaving multiple people multiple notes, and the concept of ‘training’ people leads me to believe you’re a horrifying neighbor.
      I’d highly suggest that anyone who feels compelled to leave such notes take that righteous indignation and set about doing something beneficial to try and counter one of the many very real injustices and problems people in this city face.
      Anyone bothered by the concept of having to possibly park a few blocks from their house in the city may need to consider their life choices and settle down in a nice cul de sac or something. No one ever gets shot in those.

17. wb August 13, 2013 at 12:17 pm #

A neighbor of mine a few blocks down has no less than 4-6 cars taking up valuable parking spaces. They sell used cars so while waiting to sell them they take up our spots. There will always be issues with parking in So. Philly, especially with all the new out of towners coming to enjoy the restaurants on Passyunk. My way of dealing with it was to get rid of my car!