What's Happening in:  Passyunk Square

Triangle Tavern being taken over by Cantina/Royal/etc. crew

A blessed orange liquor license application popped up in the window of the defunct Triangle Tavern at 1338 S 10th St, the corner to 10th, Passyunk and Reed.

triangle tavern

Thanks to loyal reader Rob Zdankiewicz who sent us this pic.

The names listed on the license application are Dave Frank and Stephen and Geeta Simons, the same people who own the Cantina, Royal Tavern, the Khyber and several other restaurants.

The rumor that they had been interested in the space has been floating around since at least July 2012, but we were never able to nail it down. The building’s owner told us back in March or so that he had a lease-purchase agreement for the building but he wouldn’t cough up any of the details.

No word has yet emerged on a concept for the space, which has about 1,800 square feet and could seat about 80 people, according to this old real estate listing.

We’ll keep plugging away and keep you posted.

, , ,

19 Responses to Triangle Tavern being taken over by Cantina/Royal/etc. crew

1. Bob August 26, 2013 at 11:39 am #

That’s great news. The location is too good to sit empty.

2. SH August 26, 2013 at 12:08 pm #

Don’t get me wrong, I’m glad something is going up there and I have no idea what their plans are for this space but do we really need another restaurant in the vein of the Cantina or Royal in the area?

3. Kara B August 26, 2013 at 12:40 pm #

SH, yes, actually I think it’s exactly what we need in this area. Passyunk itself is teeming with high end restaurants, which is great, but not every space needs to be filled with a 4-star tenant. Another casual place like the Cantina or Royal that offers quality food at not-so-expensive prices and that’s large enough to accommodate several people is very welcomed. Not to mention that this will draw more activity further up Passyunk–beyond the Pope/B2 corner.

• AnthonyG August 26, 2013 at 1:53 pm #

Kara is spot on, besides that block of Passyunk Ave is total crap. Hopefully this will convince the landlords of all those “rooming houses” to clean up and raise the rents.

• andrew August 26, 2013 at 2:08 pm #

Rents in that area are already too high. I have had to move deep into point breeze and possibly grays ferry in the future with multiple roommates in order to live on a server/barback wage. thanks for saying these nice neighborhoods should be inaccessible to the kinds of people who work at these establishments you enjoy.

• AnthonyG August 26, 2013 at 2:52 pm #

@ Andy, when you grow up mayble you’ll understand that the more desireable an area is the more it costs to live there. As for inaccessible, that doesn’t even make sense. Besides, throwing out the “victim” card is silly.

• acer August 26, 2013 at 3:26 pm #

and EPX is still much more affordable than some of the other more desirable neighborhoods. how much longer that will be the case is anyone’s guess, but you can still do much better here than say Queen Village or Bella Vista.

4. Portal Princess August 26, 2013 at 5:45 pm #

Wouldn’t it be great if they brought back the mussels like
    Triangle used to serve in the olden days?

5. Derek August 26, 2013 at 11:54 pm #

I was really hoping an independent owner would jump on this spot. How many places do we really need to be owned by the same conglomerates in this city (r5, Memphis/local/resurrection, cantina/khyber/royal, Starr, etc)? Can we put a limit on the amount of licenses owned by the same people in a certain neighborhood?

• David G August 27, 2013 at 10:54 am #

I think if i roll my eyes any harder at you, Derek, they’d fall out.

6. RKS August 27, 2013 at 11:04 am #

Am I the only one who’s not a big fan of the Cantina? Think the food is mediocre and the servers have too much attitude.

• nahmean August 27, 2013 at 11:48 am #

No, you’re not the only one, RKS, I’m right with you — and besides what you said, it’s earsplitting inside. But the drinks are cheap at happy hour and it’s a really nice outdoor space, so we end up there anyway.

7. DaveFame August 27, 2013 at 12:31 pm #

RKS, you nailed it. My wife and I went twice and got bad service with an attitude for average Mexican food. Have not and will not be back. The place is always packed though so they must have found the right crowd.

• RKS August 27, 2013 at 12:38 pm #

I guess the last straw was when I went recently for brunch; asked the server about the specials and she rolled her eyes at me. Then I had the nerve to ask for my omelet with egg whites…her response (with another eye roll and click of her tongue) “uh…we don’t really do that here. and it’s gonna cost you like an extra $3.” Excuse me? You don’t do egg whites?? The omelet sucked and was way overpriced. I just don’t get that place…

8. Tess August 29, 2013 at 11:45 am #

“thanks for saying these nice neighborhoods should be inaccessible to the kinds of people who work at these establishments you enjoy.” — In total agreement, Andrew. It’s effed up to make the hardworking staff at these bars and restaurants have to leave the area. I’d also like to see someone besides the same crew take over. Like that 2-woman team who has 4 restaurants on 13th Street between Walnut-Sansom in Center City. It’s such a gross take-over. We need more diversity. I also agree with all of you about Cantina. The food is overpriced and mediocre. I do love the Royal, though. That’s some quality eating.

9. wb August 31, 2013 at 12:46 pm #

This can really help connect the two different areas on Passyunk.

This is one of the few restaurant owners in the area where Vegans and Meat eaters can go, relax and not spend an arm and a leg to do it. I am excited about it!

10. Cigarnivore September 3, 2013 at 11:25 am #

I can’t believe that people in a modern capitalist society are expressing that successful multi-location restaurant owners need to put on the brakes and stop expanding so that “independent folks’ can get in and create something unique. Well if that individual isn’t you, then get out of the way. This kind of close-minded “i’ll take this type of neighborhood improvement but not that kind” is nothing more than short-sighted and ignorant. Multi-location restaurant owners expand because they are bringing to market something that the people want. It may not be your cup of tea, but something tells me that if we let you create your own neighborhood, I wouldn’t want to visit it, let a lone spend my money in it.

When you start to realize that high tide rises all boats, you might be able to enjoy the neighborhood for what it is –a success story (and great place in which to live, eat, shop, stroll, etc.)

11. AnthonyG September 4, 2013 at 9:08 am #

@Cigarnivore: You have to keep in mind that the commenters you are referring to are basically naive kids still wearing short-pants and probably being partially subsidized by mom & dad. They fail to grasp that because people buy houses in the neighborhood and SPEND money in these restaurants, they have a job.

12. EZ Riker September 5, 2013 at 3:59 pm #

These comments are great! Hahaha….