What's Happening in:  East Passyunk Crossing

Looks like Sophia’s never came back from vacation

Sophia’s, which had its share of false starts and name changes during its transition from Salt and Pepper at the end of last year, looks to have closed down for good.

For good?

A sign on the door at 1623 E. Passyunk Ave. simply says they’re on vacation. Usually, restaurants will say when the vacation ends, you know, so you’ll show up again. More telling, however, is that the phone number is disconnected and they’re no longer on Open Table.

Foobooz reports that chef Christopher Lee’s Long Island restaurant Huntingdon Social closed earlier this summer.

We tried reaching out to owner Joe Massara, but haven’t heard back. He has a way of popping up, so we’ll see if this place stays empty or is just retooling. It’s a shame, though. The place had so much potential, even if the menu was a little unorthodox. Did you like it?

, ,

9 Responses to Looks like Sophia’s never came back from vacation

1. EZ Riker September 4, 2013 at 12:54 pm #

I love Sophia’s! I like their new menu, their specialty cocktails were great, awesome service. I hope this is false information.

• Albert Stumm September 4, 2013 at 1:38 pm #

Unfortunately, I don’t think so. I’d jump at the chance to correct this one.

2. Larry Dog September 4, 2013 at 2:40 pm #

Only went there within their first month of opening. Our reservation had been somewhat botched, but they were very solicitous with service and the food was top notch. The avenue can be a competitive scene, and I found their menu to be unorthodox but well executed. Wouldn’t hold my breath for a phoenix of a restaurant (though I’d be happy to go there again), but Sophia’s does not rise again, hopefully the property can work in a turnkey manner and another ambitious effort can go in.

3. AnthonyG September 4, 2013 at 2:50 pm #

How does Chiarrella’s stay open??

• TM September 5, 2013 at 11:12 am #

• jim September 5, 2013 at 11:19 am #

they stay open because they have a dedicated following.

4. AnthonyG September 5, 2013 at 12:47 pm #

@ jim: No, they don’t. The place is consistently dead, meanwhile the surrounding resuraunts are packed. Their reviews can be described as mediocre, at best. It’s obvious they don’t put out a quality product or they’d have a lot more business. Don’t forget the Kitchen Nightmare episode.

I really just wonder how they stay afloat.

• jim September 5, 2013 at 1:42 pm #

@anthonyG I only say that because they’re still there. it may appear consistently dead, but they’re making money somehow…..or they own the building and are supported by upstairs apartments……or they are “making money” some other way.

5. Melissa September 5, 2013 at 3:54 pm #

Joe will be back! I hope they are just doing some renovations.

I love their bar- fantastic drinks with great staff. The food wasn’t for me, but I always came back for the drinks and service.

We all love you, Joe and Ray!