Fox 29 picks up on our Dog Shit Crusade

Fox 29 has taken a shine to our Dog Shit Crusade, aka public shaming of dog owners who don’t pick up after their pets.

Reporter Omari Fleming interviewed Passyunk Post editor Albert Stumm for a story that aired last night on the crusade, which so far has included posting video of one negligent pet owner and showing off some of the more whimsical efforts by our neighbors to curb the problem.

Take a look:

Philadelphia News, Weather and Sports from WTXF FOX 29

Several residents interviewed for the story said they were behind our public shaming, which we’re still happy to do. If you come across video of a bad dog owner in action, email is at and we’ll post it online.

But surely there are other ideas to solving this problem, including installing dog waste stations like in Queen Village and without resorting to calling 911.

Have other ideas?

9 Responses to Fox 29 picks up on our Dog Shit Crusade

1. Jennifer Lawson September 12, 2013 at 10:50 am #

They blocked out the pile of poop on the ground? Hilarious!

2. Dave September 12, 2013 at 5:09 pm #

I’d like to make one small point to all those in the torch bearing mob looking to shame dog poop leavers: Female dogs squat when they pee. Squatting does not necessarily equal poo.

It might seem silly to mention that, but recently I’ve had several people self-righteously attempt to call me out after my dog rose from her pee squat. And then they (I would hope) feel like the officious douchebags that they are when I tell them it was urine.

Just take a deep breath before you accuse, angry horde.

• Jennifer Lawson September 12, 2013 at 5:29 pm #

I have a female dog too and I’m always afraid people will think she’s pooping when she’s not. To make matters worse, sometimes she has constipation and tries to poop but nothing comes out. I never know if I should pretend to pick up the nonexistent poop just so I’m not accused of being a poop leaver, or just walk away since there’s nothing to pick up.

• Tobs September 30, 2013 at 1:04 pm #

Dave, I hope you’re not one of those entitled dog owners who feel it’s fine for your dog to pee anywhere. I asked this hipster woman not to have her dog pee on our fenced in flowers(right on em!) and she was offended that I said something to her.

3. PD September 12, 2013 at 8:29 pm #

If in your travels you can figure out who keeps letting their dog take enormous dumps on the 1100 block of Gerritt Street without ever picking it up, unleash the full force of the shame machine on them. I’m not sure if it’s a dog or a person at this point.

• Albert Stumm September 12, 2013 at 9:15 pm #

Yikes! I’ll do what I can. Can anyone out there help PD on Gerritt?

• Tobs September 30, 2013 at 1:01 pm #

I’d love to find out PD. I know exactly what you’re talking about. My daughter & I are always having to weave our way through dog bombs on our way to school. It’s ridiculous. And it’s not just poop. I’ve had arguments with with people who think it’s ok to let their dogs pee on our flowers. Dog walkers have become a real nuisance the last couple years.

4. Adam September 13, 2013 at 9:30 am #

PD – hilarious last sentence!

5. Christian Fegel September 13, 2013 at 9:45 pm #

A half courteous dog owner left a plastic bag full of dog poop on our fire hydrant at 12th and Dickinson. Just don’t get it. I am seriously shopping for a cam to record this busy intersection for poop offenders. Please any advice for this technophile on such a set up?