What's Happening in:  East Passyunk Crossing :  Passyunk Square

Higher rent puts El Zarape on the move

E Zarape, the taqueria in the pie-shaped corner spot at 12th and Passyunk, has signed a lease on a new location in cheesesteak central.

El Zarape will go before the Passyunk Square Civic Association zoning committee on Tuesday to get community input on its new proposed spot,¬†1304-06 9th St, which is two doors down from Pat’s Steaks. The building will need a zoning variance to serve food.

1304 S. 9th St.

1304 S. 9th St.

The Insider reported that owner Armando Aparicio cited a rent increase as prompting the move.

That’s not surprising. Even though the current location is so oddly shaped, it’s pretty big if you count the storage area behind their kitchen, which they briefly tried to use as a small grocery. The restaurant, which is right across from the Cantina, is also empty fairly often despite its designation as Best of Philly tacos in 2012.

Moving next to Pat’s will at least provide another good option for BYO food when you go to Garage, though.

, , , ,

9 Responses to Higher rent puts El Zarape on the move

1. Pennsporter October 7, 2013 at 11:18 am #

Phew, I’m glad they are only moving. Their food is seriously good and while they made the “Best of Philly” list, it’s still underrated.

Honestly, you’re welcome anytime in Pennsport, El Zarape! We need some more Mexican food in our collective lives.

• SP_Born&Raised October 8, 2013 at 1:44 am #

A Mexican place just opened for business on the SE corner of 12th and Snyder.. A half block down from where Rocky told that little girl to get off the corner and stop hanging with those bad kids. Then he walked her home through Epiphany School yard to her house on Jackson Street… It looks good like they mean to be a serious business despite the cheap sign they put up.. Its clean looking and they look to be open to all, unlike the previous business that was there…

• Jillian October 14, 2013 at 1:24 pm #

I’ve been there. Their guacamole is to die for and made fresh to order. I still prefer Los Gallos for dinner but if you are looking for guacamole and pico de gallo you should hit up the Taqueria.

2. Nick Vadala October 7, 2013 at 1:02 pm #

Seems like the restaurant is usually empty because the customer service is really bad–or at least it has been every time I’ve gone. Their food outweighs the experience by a ton, though.

• Lee October 7, 2013 at 1:30 pm #

I eat there once a week (at least)….but I almost always get takeout. I’m sure I’m not the only one who prefers the Zarape not in the restaurant.

3. AM October 7, 2013 at 2:40 pm #

they do a ton of take out business. always thought their food, although different in intent, was superior to the Cantina.

4. Greg October 7, 2013 at 3:31 pm #

I get their takeout a good deal, its fine, but there is way better authentic Mexican all over South Philly. I wondered why they lasted so long in that location anyway. Seems like a prime location for the next celebrity chef high-concept overblown blahblahblah place.

• Albert Stumm October 7, 2013 at 3:58 pm #

Well put, Greg! If somehow we could combine that with the word “affordable,” we’d be all set.

• Philly Ray October 7, 2013 at 6:50 pm #

I’m looking for a place that does prepared food well for take out. That’s something we need more of. Unfortunately, to me Plenty only means that you need “plenty” of money for just okay food.