What's Happening in:  Passyunk Square

A medical-uniform supply store called MIA Scrubs is closing at 1128 S. 9th St., which is flanked by Teri’s on one side and Connie’s Ric Rac on the other.

The silver lining is that the space is up for rent and zoned CMX-2, which means you could open a restaurant or bar by right (entertainment would need approval).

1128 S. 9th St

From the listing by Century 21-Forrester on Craigslist:

This is a large, good clean space in the heart of the 9th Street Market! Good for a retail business, yoga studio, etc. Two powder rooms.

Yoga on that section of the market? Meh, that’s not such a good fit there. But how about a late-night diner like Teri’s used to be?¬†The 1,500 square foot property is going for $1,300 a month, lowered this week from the original price of $1,500.

Teri's on one side...

Teri’s on one side…

...and Connie's on the other.

…and Connie’s on the other.

We’re pushing for such a late night amenity because that area is already bumping most nights. People and music already flood out onto the sidewalk at those two bars and often at the two Mexican joints up the block, Fiesta Acapulco and Monteczuma. Across the street, for now anyway, is a boarded vacant lot that serves as a haven for paste-ups and other street art that would make Streets Dept proud.

Good, cheap late-night eats with a liquor license sound like a good mix. We need to get tater tots back to the block. What do you think?

, , , ,

7 Responses to Wanna help turn the southern section of the Italian Market into a little nightlife district?

1. Jeff October 10, 2013 at 10:34 am #

I agree with your assessment. This strip has a lot of potential.

2. Kitty October 10, 2013 at 10:47 am #

Agreed. We don’t really have a stip of bars with live music. I would love to see a smaller version of Austin’s 6th street on this block. And what about that vacant lot? Seems like a waste of space.

• Albert Stumm October 10, 2013 at 10:50 am #

The vacant lot has been proposed to be a one-story commercial space with parking on the roof. The building on the corner with the seafood place (Anastasi’s?) would be torn down too. That proposal is still on the developer’s website, but it’s been almost two years with no movement.

• Tony Cholcadi October 12, 2013 at 8:15 am #

I know this project has resurfaced as a potentially larger retail + apt building with underground parking. Not sure if the developers will really make a go of it though.

3. Nicole October 10, 2013 at 12:14 pm #

I’ve resided just around the corner on Ellsworth for the past six years — I would love to see, as suggested, another late night diner hang type of thing opening up. My husband and I used to love Teri’s back when they served good reliable diner grub. Plenty of friends of mine regularly grabbed breakfast there as well. Unfortunately, things went down hill there awhile ago.

I think its now or never for this strip in regards to night life. The Boot & Saddle at Broad & Ellsworth will draw from the crowd of locals that might otherwise enjoy hanging in the Market.

4. Nicole October 10, 2013 at 12:57 pm #

Another Nicole here, living on Ellsworth (weird and awesome). While I hate to be all “Get off my lawn,” the insane noise level of these two clubs much blows my mind nightly.

I am somewhere in the middle here. I love my neighborhood and its distinct charms and I am all for its further revitalization, but both these places are kind of gross and low-rent, but not in a cool way. Like, oh they serve awesome food so we ignore the smell. Or, their beer selection is fantastic, so just walk the other way if you don’t want crappy weed smoke blown in your face. But, hey it’s worth it. All’s I feel is a resounding, “Nope.”

Adding another charmless watering hole for the this-bike-is-a-pipe-bomb set, further adding to the late-night bottle throwing, street screaming, and lovers’ quarrelling does not appeal.

So much for not sounding crotchety!

5. Albert Stumm October 10, 2013 at 1:09 pm #

I really hope a third Nicole on Ellsworth can weigh in. Rule of threes?