There’s lots of stuff in this week’s To-Do List, which now includes listings from our new events calendar, as well as a smattering of other fun stuff from around the city. If you have something to add, please put it in the comments, or you can submit future events to our calendar here.
- Head to 2nd Street Brewhouse, 2nd and Morris streets, for Oktoberfest beer, food and a rock paper scissors tournament. The tourney starts at 4 p.m. with cash prizes, but Guerilla Ultima will be there earlier for brunch.
- Ales 4 Tails BlockParty at Hawthorne’s, 11th and Fitzwater streets, at 2 p.m. There will be live music, $5 beers and street fare. This block party will help raise funds for PAWS (http://phillypaws.org/). Pay as you go cash only.
- The Passyunk Square Civic Association Home Tour, a showcase of homes throughout the neighborhood, is one of PSCA’s most successful and important fundraisers. The tour features homes in all stages of renovation, provides a chance to compare contractors, get ideas and meet neighbors. For tickets, $20 in advance, $25 day of, click here.
- Second Saturday is a perfect time to shop, swap and look around. During the day, there will be rack sales, sidewalk sales, kids’ costume swaps, a home tour, 50 cents off cupcakes and a donation yoga class. In the evening, there will be an open art exhibit at Marker magic. more sidewalk sales, free samples of cocktails and trunk and jewelry sales.
- Enjoy a line-up of bands at the South Philly Fest going from noon-6 p.m. on the 1800 block of 13th Street. Lucky 13 will be offering food and drink specials while Little Baby’s Ice Cream and Kung Fu Hoagies will be outside. Vendors will include Sweet Jane Vintage, Bad Panda, Moon & Arrow, and many more.
- Columbus Day Parade, along Broad Street from Moore to about Oregon Avenue. Morning, but we can’t seem to find the time the damn thing starts. Several bus routes will be diverted between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m., but that doesn’t say much.Anyone
- Traffic Advisory: The Columbus Day Parade will be held along South Broad Street. The following street closures will be in effect during the event from 11:00 AM until 4:00 PM.Broad Street from Washington to Bigler Street
1400 Block of Bigler Street
Washington Avenue from 13th to 17th Street
Oregon Avenue from 13th to 15th Street
All cross streets along Broad Street will continue to run, conditions permitting, with the exception of Washington Avenue, Bigler Street, and Oregon Avenue.
- Bus detours: Since the parade will move along Broad between Moore Street and Marconi Plaza near Oregon Avenue, there will be detours for bus routes 4, 7, 23, 37, 68, 79 and G between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m.
- The Old City Seaport Festival is a weekend-long festival hosted by the Independence Seaport Museum. The event includes Tall Ships, live music, craft village and activities along the waterfront. At 5 p.m., watch the majestic Parade of Boats as they arrive up the Delaware River from Penn’s Landing. Visitors can watch the Parade of Boats for free on the Landing.
Did we miss something? Certainly, so put it in the comments.
– Ruthann Alexander, @RuthannAlexande