What's Happening in:  Dickinson Square West :  Pennsport

A redevelopment proposal will be presented on Thursday, Dec. 12, for the former Mt. Sinai hospital, the albatross at 4th and Reed.

The meeting will be at 7 p.m. at Mt. Moriah, 410 Wharton St.

Mt Sinai2

Taken from Dickinson looking north

According to the Dickinson Square West Civic Association, “detailed information about the proposal, including site plans, renderings of the buildings, description of the proposed uses, intended parking and traffic solutions, etc. will be presented.”

All those plurals in there suggest that more than one use could be on the way for the property, which encompasses almost all of Reed to Dickinson, 4th to 5th streets.

The Reed Street side

The Reed Street side

According to a source who saw a preliminary plan that was submitted in March, which could be outdated or incorrect by now, the developer intends to build 219 apartments or condos, 118 parking spaces, 77 bike parking spaces, 51 percent “open space,” which according to the definition includes parking area.  The green corner at 4th & Reed would stay. About 2,500 square feet of retail is also proposed.

Whether these plans have changed? We’ll see Thursday.

Lot of interesting historical details on some parts of that complex

Lot of interesting historical details on some parts of that complex

, , , , ,

23 Responses to Will old Mt. Sinai hospital become 219 apartments? Plans to be presented this week.

1. Samantha December 9, 2013 at 11:26 am #

I’m interested to see if the plans have changed. The vacant building isn’t great for the neighborhood but neither is providing half of the parking for the proposed occupants. Is like to see some sort of retail/restaurant option added as well.

• David G December 9, 2013 at 12:15 pm #

Seriously? Providing greater than 2:1 parking is a LOT of parking, and way more than a reasonable zoning re-mapping (CMX-3) would require (3:1).

• Samantha December 9, 2013 at 4:16 pm #

Maybe I’m not understanding, but that would leave 100 units without off-street parking, no? Don’t get me wrong, I love that the building will no longer sit vacant but current residents of this ‘hood have a hard time parking after 6pm. Not that everyone has a car, but preparing for the maximum occupancy is always a good practice.

• Samantha (again) December 9, 2013 at 4:22 pm #

Also, its the responsibilty of each neighborhood to maybe institute permit parking, which I’m not opposed to. So, that would be on us. I was just voicing an intial concern for the adjacent neighbors. BUT, I can’t wait to see whats proposed!!!!

• Dan P. December 10, 2013 at 3:42 pm #

It has been my experience from talking to neighbors and getting a sense of which car(s) belong to which household that most of the parking problem is from current residents who have anywhere from 2-4 cars per household. That’s a much bigger issue since it dwarfs the hundred or so units that would be built here that wouldn’t have a designated spaces. The impact of those units would be marginal and not likely to be felt all that much. If existing residents could figure out a way to get by with one car per household, the parking issue throughout South Philly would be a lot easier. (Hopefully the PPA’s plan to ratchet up the residential permit costs for additional cars after the first per household will help.)

• Someone December 12, 2013 at 8:32 am #

I live right next to the old hospital, and parking after 6pm is a mother. If you plan on leaving parking problems with the PPA good luck with that. If they do get the plans through with building the apartments complex, they will need to find a way not to block off parking for the long time residents by the area.

2. Kevin December 9, 2013 at 8:02 pm #

Just do something. Tear it down, something. Such a waste of space. Please no government housing. The area is getting cleaned up, finally. Give them all parking and a bl()w job. Just clean it up.
    Next spot should be old Foxwoods. So said that we have a river front walmart. Need to learn from Baltimore.

• Tim December 9, 2013 at 8:29 pm #

Not sure I understand much of what you said.

3. Christian December 9, 2013 at 8:17 pm #

The (re)development of Mt. Sinai is going to be a game changer for EPX- if it ever happens. Which way the game will change is speculative. Can you attract Naval Square-ish condo buyers to South Philly. Not a real pretty stroll to Passyunk Ave from 4th and Reed.

• Tim December 9, 2013 at 8:32 pm #

Naval Square is in South Philly so yeah you could. Which stroll are you referring to considering Passyunk runs diagonally.

• Dave December 10, 2013 at 9:47 am #

Don’t be an idiot Tim. He’s talking about walking to passyunk’s shopping area FROM 4th and Reed. You know, through the sh-hole 5th -8th street areas?
        He’s right.

And what the Hell is Kevin talking about. Have you been to Baltimore?? We should never never follow any example that Baltimore has done. They have a 5 block area by the waterfront that is nice and then miles of slum. Great Idea.

• Jeff December 10, 2013 at 10:42 am #

Er.. the 5th to 8th st stroll along Reed is quite pleasant actually. Maybe that’s why Tim was confused. The northward stroll on 4th to Passyunk and South might be considered a little less nice.

And the existence of an attractive waterfront amidst miles of slum (if that is the case – I’ve never been to Baltimore), would be all the more reason to research what they did right and learn from it.

• Christian December 10, 2013 at 7:30 pm #

“Quite pleasant” and “a little less nice”. Heh. You must be a realtor.

• Jeff December 11, 2013 at 7:23 am #

I’m not, I just really disagree with Dave’s statement. I don’t know what haven of paradise he comes from, but any normal person who’s walked that stretch of Reed in the past few years should know that there’s nothing “sh-hole” about it.

• kevin December 11, 2013 at 5:04 pm #

obviously you have only been to inner harbor. im talking about federal hill, fells point, canton. all with homes much nicer than sphilly row homes. man brand new or funky renovated lofts–with young professionals. certainly there are dumps like the area around mt sinai. but there needs to be a vision. can you name another city that has a waterfront walmart? reed is a main sphilly artery. it needs some love. but it seems safe.
          if you can afford 4 cars, paying 100 per car is not a deterrent.

• Dan P. December 16, 2013 at 4:24 pm #

It’s not usually one individual who owns all four but one household of two parents with one or two adult children, each of whom own a car. Just saying it’s possible that one of those cars could go away and that group of people would get by just fine.

The important thing to realize here is that parking is difficult NOW. Already. Today. Why is that? Who is causing that difficulty? It’s not anyone living at the Mt. Sinai hospital. If I’m a new person moving in and I KNOW that parking is a bear and I absolutely need a car, why would I move there? On the other hand, I always wonder why current residents who have multiple cars per household and need those don’t move to someplace with easier parking.

4. Joe December 11, 2013 at 9:10 am #

I’m sick of the parking complaint. We live in a major city if u don’t like move to the burbs with a nice driveway.

5. anthonyg December 11, 2013 at 11:09 am #

Parking should be the last thing anyone considers. Do you idiots live in your car?

6. Geraldo Romanini December 11, 2013 at 11:36 am #

Yeah I agree.

7. Yvonne December 15, 2013 at 3:51 pm #

I live close to the hospital, and it would be great to see something done with the space that would benefit the community that lives here. Studios, space for adult-learning workshops, retail to provide jobs, that kind of thing.

The parking complaints and concerns aren’t unfounded. Parking in this neighborhood is a bear after 6:00pm. Of course, many of the “2-4 cars per household” is a problem because several of the houses in this area are actually broken up into apartments, mine included. Which is a common city problem everywhere in Philly. However I am opposed to permit parking. It isn’t that much but quite honestly, it’s not an expense I can afford and probably half of the long-time residents here can’t either. I don’t necessarily mind the walking to get to the truck my husband and I share, but it’s nice when it’s just a block away as opposed to 4+ blocks away.

As a side note, I agree with Jeff. I walk through 8th and 5th street all the time, and I don’t really have a problem with it. There’s trash on the ground, sure; we live in South Philly where no one gives a damn about how our street looks so they don’t provide any kind of trash cans. Some friends and I have occasionally organized to grab trash bags and clean up the street for a day, and it might get completely trashed later on the same day but whatever. If you actually invest some effort in the place you live, rather than complain about it, some difference can actually be made.

8. Christine December 16, 2013 at 5:05 pm #

Could those who talk about parking in South Philly being a “bear” please elaborate? Do you ever half to walk more than 5 blocks from your parking spot to your house? Because that is not “a bear”. That is called having a car in the city, where you really don’t need one, but decided to have one anyway. That’s your choice, and walking a few blocks each day in order to maintain that choice is part of the deal.

• SC December 17, 2013 at 1:21 pm #

I own a car in East Passyunk, and RARELY have to park more than 2 blocks from my house. So one, parking is not nearly as bad as some people like to make it out to be, and two, if you can’t afford $35/year for a parking permit, I’m not sure how you manage to afford a car at all.

• Yvonne December 20, 2013 at 9:28 am #

Parking can be spotty the closer you get to Dickinson Square after 6:00pm, in my experience. My husband and I share a vehicle and there are times that he works very late and does park 5 blocks away. Certainly it’s nice when we can park closer to our apartment. Because of our particular situation, we work in opposite directions outside the city. We would prefer to work in the city but at the time the kind of jobs we needed weren’t available.

As for not being able to really afford $35/year — I thought for sure that the parking permits were $35 or more a month? Even monthly that might sound like chump change compared to what people even spend at Starbucks a month, but when you’re filling your gas tank at least once a week commuting to work that $35 is needed elsewhere.

However if it’s $35/year, then sure, I retract the statement for not being able to afford it because that’s completely reasonable. I was ill informed.