Recycle that Christmas tree on Saturday

Yeah, Christmas just passed but those needles are already starting to fall to the ground, right? Such is the circle of life.

Don’t let this happen to your tree, headed for the dump.

Luckily you can recycle that tree this weekend at three locations in South Philly, says Greenlimbs (run by one of our contributors).

It’s on Saturday. The locations are:

9am-12pm; Weccacoe Playground (400 block of Catherine)

9am-4pm; Whole Foods Market (10th & South)

10am-4pm; Passyunk Square, 13th and Reed Streets

There is a suggested $5 donation. Last year, 401 trees were recycled and turned into mulch that was spread at Nebinger Elementary School in Bella Vista and the South Philadelphia Older Adults Senior Center at Passyunk and Dickinson.

13 Responses to Recycle that Christmas tree on Saturday

1. Lee January 2, 2014 at 9:23 am #

Albert didn’t emphasize enough (though its somewhat obscurily noted in the photo caption). Trees that are put out on the street in Philly for collection are sent to the landfill with the rest of the trash. They’re NOT chipped, composted or otherwise.

So everyone should definitely consider dragging their tree to one of the recycling events. You get both a warm and fuzzy feeling inside AND the chips will end up in a nearby public green space.

2. Christian Fegel January 2, 2014 at 2:13 pm #

Yes, it made me very sad seeing so many Xmas trees on the curb this morning. C’mon folks.

3. am January 2, 2014 at 5:35 pm #

these are the same people who sweep their trash into the sewer drains on the corners of each block. it too late to change their environmental habits.

4. Jillian January 2, 2014 at 6:40 pm #

I don’t think that’s a fair characterization. My tree was honestly disintegrating. It was falling apart and shedding buckets of needles a day. If I had known ahead of time that the event was on Saturday then I would have waited it out. However, this came out today and the tree was already out of the house and on the curb. I sweep outside my house, take pride in my house’s appearance, recycle and certainly don’t litter. Don’t be so judge-y.

• Lee January 3, 2014 at 2:42 pm #

In all fairness, the tree recycling event was advertised as early as 10 days ago and has happened the first weekend after new years for atleast the past 4 years. I wouldn’t call it a secret event.

• Jillian January 3, 2014 at 2:46 pm #

Unfortunately, I’m new to Philly. Passyunk Post is where I generally get info on my neighborhood “going ons.”

• Lee January 3, 2014 at 3:06 pm #

Well as wonderful as P.P. is there are other sources as well. Depending on where you live, checkout:

Go to their meetings (depending on where you live). You’ll get lots of info that way.

• Albert Stumm January 4, 2014 at 11:06 am #

You know what, Jillian? I like you.

5. Catchel Paige January 3, 2014 at 8:39 pm #

so im going to drag my tree almost a mile then give YOU $5…sorry its going on the curb

• AM January 6, 2014 at 11:35 am #

you’re part of the problem.

• Peter Verrecchia January 10, 2014 at 7:19 pm #

This actually such a fun community event . The proceeds help support neighborhood civics and greening effort. Do yourself a favor and drag the tree.

6. Christian Fegel January 4, 2014 at 1:14 pm #

Isn’t it common knowledge that communities gather and chip Xmas trees? It always used to be the Boy Scouts who did it but finding a proper tree disposal was easy even BEFORE the internet. For my entire 40 years of life this is what you do with your trees. On both coasts, in cities, country and suburbs. Leaving your Xmas tree on the curb is as gross as not curbing your dog or throwing your litter in the gutter. So let’s get a clue, people, and next year do the right thing. :P

7. Kate January 9, 2014 at 3:19 pm #

The city is recycling trees for FREE at these locations until the 14th of January: