What's Happening in:  Passyunk Square

Acme issues another warning about parking in its lot

Fuscia fliers appeared on cars parked in Acme’s lot at 10th and Reed over the weekend warning neighbors that they are only allowed to park there between 10 p.m. and 7 a.m.

A fluorescent omen.

A fluorescent omen.

The move was a repeat of September 2012, when we reported that similar fliers popped up on windshields warning that cars would be towed during those hours.

At the time, $85 tickets were being issued. Apparently, this time, they’re going to skip right to the tow truck.

Acme 10th and Reed (2)

Store manager Jim Reardon told us back then: “I’m not trying to bust everybody’s stones, but I’ve been getting complaints from customers that it’s getting harder to park,” he said. “I’m not trying to hurt the community, I’m just trying to let my customers park.”

Yep, it’s getting harder to park everywhere. Do you think Acme is handling this the right way?

, , ,

18 Responses to Acme issues another warning about parking in its lot

1. AnthonyG January 14, 2014 at 12:22 pm #

Apparently they did tow cars. Shame, but the store manager is in a tough spot. If people complain to the corporate office about no parking, he takes the hit.

2. AM January 14, 2014 at 12:56 pm #

good. people are too entitled in this neighborhood when it comes to parking. the ones hurting the community are the people who park wherever they feel like it (Acme lot, at the end of the block all the way to the corner, Broad St and on and on). This manager should not be apologizing to these selfish jerks.

I’ve had to park by the Wells Fargo bank to shop in a mostly empty Acme because too many folks were taking up spots and not in the store. It’s fine because I’m younger and not lazy, so I can walk the extra distance but the older people may not.

3. SC January 14, 2014 at 1:15 pm #

Totally within his right to tow cars that don’t belong to shoppers. Other option, go the Whole Foods route, and no free parking ever unless you have a store receipt.

4. ASR January 14, 2014 at 3:44 pm #

Many of the cars parked around the Acme on P’yunk, Reed, and 10th NEVER move, and that is part of the problem.

5. DP January 14, 2014 at 8:05 pm #

Tow ‘em all and let god sort them out.

• LBCS January 17, 2014 at 12:28 pm #

6. TGIF January 15, 2014 at 7:05 am #

The majority of the cars that are parked along the edge of the ACME parking lot are owned by cops at the 3rd District and Postal workers from the 10th & Dickinson post office. They have done this scare tactic before with little resolve, so I’m going to add this to the list. If they really want to stop it, they need to do something more drastic than posting flyers on windows and towing a few cars.

7. nw January 15, 2014 at 3:24 pm #

My car got towed a few months ago! I was pissed at the time but they had every right to do it. I do wish I would’ve got a flyer on my car first. I think they have to tread lightly though with upsetting the neighbors. We’re the ones keeping that store open and that parking lot takes up a lot of space in a very compact area.

8. Lee January 15, 2014 at 4:05 pm #

I like the paylot idea.

Make overnight parking cheaper. Spend money on a kiosk machine and avoid having to pay a person to sit in a booth. Cars left longer than X number of days would just get towed.

Puchasing food at Acme gets your parking validated (but only for a certain amount to avoid people parking for a coule days, buying a pack of gum and then not paying).

9. dg January 15, 2014 at 9:53 pm #

I got towed- don’t let it happen to you.

I’m not complaining. I’ve been by on a saturday or sunday morning and there is hardly a spot in the lot. I doubt that those are all grocery shoppers. So i understand the store had to do something.

I’m grateful that overnight parking is free, as that is the hardest time to park in the neighborhood

10. Gervasia January 17, 2014 at 11:49 am #

My car was towed several years ago after a snowstorm because they needed to plow the lot. No ill will toward Acme, but Lew Blum towing did $1300 worth of damage to my car in the process. Bastards from hell…. Beware!!!

Anyway, another aspect of the parking problem is that as more and more blocks go to permit parking, it puts a tighter squeeze on visitors and those of us who live on partly commercial blocks where there is never going to be permit parking.

11. Hittingforavg January 17, 2014 at 12:22 pm #

Good, it’s just ridiculous how people take advantage of this lot. I’m all for it. Tow them all. While kiosks are a great idea, it wouldn’t work because it’s not a city owned lot. It could work if Acme had someone patrol the lot as a private meter maid of sorts.

12. LBCS January 17, 2014 at 12:30 pm #

So this means I can keep parking here to go to POPE as long as it’s after 10PM? Cool.

13. Jake January 17, 2014 at 4:15 pm #

I have the perfect solution to this problem. Unless you are disabled or otherwise have trouble walking, don’t own a car! It’s as easy as that! Passyunk Square is an incredibly walkable neighborhood. There’s a subway station just a few blocks away, and a bus stop across the street. Flat and easy to bike on too. You simply don’t need a car in this neighborhood, unless walking is a difficulty for you. You’ll save tons of money, improve your health, and you’ll never have to worry about getting towed.

• Colin January 18, 2014 at 6:54 pm #

Great solution for anyone who doesn’t work outside of the city, have family outside of the city, likes to do anything outside of the city, and ultimately has friends that will drive them around.

• Gandhus January 28, 2014 at 1:07 pm #

Hey Jake, here’s something that might blow your mind….many of the people parking their cars are visitors who don’t live in the neighborhood!

Aside from stating the obvious, cheerleading about the neighborhood’s walkability is hardly a solution.

14. lb January 18, 2014 at 5:26 pm #

Maybe they could start by giving cars with neighborhood permits warnings.

And all those NJ plates I see parked to long, tow them.

I have seen the postal workers put their post hats or some marker in the windshield which makes it seem like Acme has a deal with them?

15. h2oworks January 20, 2014 at 7:36 pm #

Although I do not live in the neighborhood I often shop here and have never had a parking lot problem

I am in a neighborhood where parking is also a problem because of restaurants and events.

That said, I have been trying to support the East Passyunk restaurants and have thought in a pinch I could safely park at the very ends of the Acme lot, especially on a Tuesday or Thursday.

I have always found street parking but feel guilty that I am probably taking the spot of a resident. I know what it feels like to have to drive round and round looking for a legal space near my home.

Seems like it might make some sense to legally make some spaces at Acme, CVS available, for those folks bringing money into the neighborhood restaurants?
    Taking up resident parking spaces between the hours of 6 and 11 at night seems counterproductive.

Being one of the great cities of the world and with this wonderful resurgence of East Passyunk Ave. we should be able to come up with a happy solution.