Would you use late-night subway service if SEPTA restored it? VOTE

Pic of SEPTA's BSL via Wikimedia Commons

Pic of SEPTA’s BSL via Wikimedia Commons

SEPTA is considering extending subway service past its current 12:30 a.m. curfew to as late as 3 a.m., starting with Friday and Saturday nights at first as part of a pilot program.

Question is, would you use it?

Late-night subway service
If SEPTA restored subway service till 3 a.m., would you use it?

According to the Inquirer’s report:

Because of increasing nightlife and residential activity in Center City, SEPTA may continue service after midnight, when subways now are replaced by “night owl” buses, general manager Joseph Casey said. …

Chief financial officer Richard Burnfield said his staff was still assessing the costs – for security, operators, cashiers, and maintenance – to determine if a resumption of some late-night subway service would be included in the agency’s proposed budget that will be released next month.

A petition that was started two weeks ago to prod SEPTA into restoring 24-hour service (currently Night Owl buses run every 15 minutes) had already gotten more than 2,100 signatures. You can sign it here.

8 Responses to Would you use late-night subway service if SEPTA restored it? VOTE

1. nahmean February 27, 2014 at 1:08 pm #

You left out one important choice: “No, I wouldn’t use it because I’m never out that late, but I think it should be restored anyway”

2. Beth February 27, 2014 at 2:43 pm #

I would use it if there would be increased security at that time.

3. Jared February 27, 2014 at 5:06 pm #

Security is the big issue for me – I would use it if I felt safe in a station at 3 a.m. – as they are currently maintained and staffed, its not worth the risk. Cabs/Uber are expensive, but they are a safer alternative.

4. Joseph DiDIo February 27, 2014 at 6:25 pm #

I would not use it. It does not feel safe in the daytime. In fact there is one stop that announces to secure all personal belongings and electronic devices because there have been so many incidents at the stop. That happens to be the stop where I get off. It is only announced at that stop if you are traveling south from Walnut – Locust stop.

• AnthonyG February 28, 2014 at 9:25 am #

@Joseph: That is completely B.S. You are just making stuff up. That anouncement plays on a loop, on the sub and el.

The fact that you feel unsafe, well that’s you’re problem. Go live in a box. I’ve taken the sub to and from work every day for the past 23 years. Your perecption is not reallity.

• Adam March 1, 2014 at 8:50 am #

That announcement plays at every stop on the subway. I’ve taken it almost daily since 1996 and I can’t ever remember feeling unsafe. Other than dodging the occasional block of concrete in the Walnut-Locust concourse.

5. Brandon February 28, 2014 at 11:27 am #

I think any thriving city should have 24 hour subway service, but in SEPTA’s case I’ll take the 3am extension. That being said, I’m not necessarily ok with the potential crime/problems that it might bring to our neighborhood. I agree with Beth and Jared, they would need to bulk up their security in order for me to actually get on at 2am. As with all things in city living, just be smart, and be aware of your surroundings at all times. If you’re too wasted to see…take a cab home, don’t be a sitting (or wobbling) duck!