What's Happening in:  Newbold :  West Passyunk

UPDATE: has some more info here.

Police swarmed the 1400 blocks of West Passyunk and Snyder avenues yesterday afternoon as they raided two businesses for allegedly selling liquor illegally and running underground card games.

Is that a TV?

Is that a TV the cop in yellow is holding? This is the Mediterranean Cafe on Passyunk

Cops seized a large quantity of liquor and $16,000 in cash during the raid, a source familiar with the raid told us. Two people were arrested at Cafe Italia, at 1424 Snyder Ave., and one was arrested at the Mediterranean, at 1427 Passyunk Ave., he said.

Rumors that drugs were being sold out of the Passyunk cafe were false.

Admittedly, these places are a bit off our radar. Anyone know anything about them?

, , , ,

13 Responses to 2 Newbold businesses raided for illegal gambling, selling booze without a license, cops say

1. Leave Me A Loan June 5, 2014 at 11:21 am #

The dudes that sit out front of these places all stop talking and stare at you when you walk by like they own the sidewalk or something.

• DriveByCurmudgeon June 5, 2014 at 7:03 pm #

True story.

2. Yup June 5, 2014 at 1:46 pm #

That’s pretty much it. I never went to these places as I never actually thought they were places you could eat and drink at. Seemed more like hangouts for people.

3. Brug June 5, 2014 at 2:08 pm #

Are these the Italian Clubs? Those guys are nice if you say hi.

4. Michele June 5, 2014 at 4:18 pm #

Stop these guys are older and just killing time. These types of coffee shops and hangouts are all over the small towns in Italy. These guys aren’t selling drugs or illegally gambling they play cards for fun for an espresso! Go get real criminals in Philly!

• AnthonyG June 6, 2014 at 9:56 am #

@Michele: if you think there is no illegal gambling going on there, you are very naive.
      BTW, illegal gambling seems harmless, betting horses/football, but it’s all part of the bigger game: hookers & drugs.

5. Levana June 5, 2014 at 4:37 pm #

Those businesses are very mysterious. There are always men sitting outside and it’s pretty clear that they don’t really want any customers walking in who they don’t already know. A friend told me that she went in to buy a coffee once and they refused to serve her. They are both in good locations. It would be nice to have legit businesses there. We need more businesses like the super delicious Cafe Amala’s which is right next to Mediteranean Cafe. That part of W. Passyunk would make a great little restaurant row that could be an affordable alternative to E. Passyunk–with more parking!

• Bruce June 5, 2014 at 10:30 pm #

You are completely wrong about this place. They are nicest people around if you have actually talked to, all hard working individuals who are looking for no more than association with friends. I go there frequently for an espresso and besides they have the best espresso once in a while they offer it complemetary and iv seen plenty of neighboors go in there for cappuccino and they say nothing but good words about the owner and the people. And from what I heard the owner is very active on community organizations and frequent the community meetings and is very well liked. I think you have the wrong opinion like I did before.

• Levana June 6, 2014 at 10:08 am #

Maybe you are right. I just walk by. But since I said this I have heard from several women including another commenter who had the same experience.

6. Jen June 5, 2014 at 6:27 pm #

I had the same experience as Levana’s friend, I wanted to buy a coffee and they wouldn’t serve me. I live the next block over and walk past these places every day. Very shady.

7. Noah June 6, 2014 at 10:09 am #

The cafe on Passyunk is an Albanian hangout. I’ve had very good espresso at both places and have never felt unwelcome.

8. Rob June 6, 2014 at 12:41 pm #

Caffe italia is just an italian neighborhood
    Hangout like the many that used to populate any italian neighborhood, almost
    Like a social club. I’ve stopped in a few times over the yrs for espresso, ridiculous they bothered these places.

• AnthonyG June 12, 2014 at 10:12 am #

Nothing going on here, move along…..

Meanwhile $16,000 in cash on hand.

Stick your head back in the sand.