What's Happening in:  Passyunk Square

Dog Shit Crusade: Know this bad pet owner?

Speaking of ick…

A little over a year ago, we launched a Dog Shit Crusade to rid our streets of the putrid piles of poop that too-often dotted our sidewalks, asking readers to send in videos of the stinky scofflaws so we could publicly shame them into stopping.

Juvenile? Yes. But effective? Seems like it.

Here’s one more, and if you’re grossed out by the idea, don’t watch the video.

This dopey dog owner let his pooch go on the 1300 block of East Passyunk, about half a block south of Pat’s, on June 25. The friendly tipster who sent the video said he just saw the same crew walking along the avenue this week, so they’re still around.

The last time we posted a video of a rogue pooper, in June 2013, it was obviously a neighborhood guy you could call 3-1-1 on. That might not be so easy with this crew, but still, for the record, we don’t recommend that you confront this guy. Vigilante justice isn’t going to solve anything.

But it does seem like there’s been less poop on the ground this summer than last. Are we crazy, or do you agree?

Special thanks to the tipster who sent us this video. Have any other, nonpoop-related tips? Email us at and we’ll check it out.

11 Responses to Dog Shit Crusade: Know this bad pet owner?

1. enneirda July 17, 2014 at 10:59 am #

i’d like to peg them with a BB gun. not the dog of course.

2. Ian July 17, 2014 at 11:04 am #

Those are clearly squatters though. And while their dog pooping on the sidewalk is terrible ( giving all responsible dog owners a bad name) – dirty loser squatters passing through is not as big of a problem as serial neighborhood jerks not cleaning up dog feces. They are here day in and day out leaving a mess in the same spots.

Their selfishness, laziness and lack of social responsibility is frightening. Its such a simple thing to pick up after yourself. / rant

3. Lauren July 17, 2014 at 11:29 am #

Squatter or not I’ve seen these same people walking their dogs a few times in my neighborhood. could be the same culprits. there is constantly dog crap around my neighborhood as well.

4. Xtian July 17, 2014 at 3:20 pm #

I agree, Ian. I’m the crusader at 12th and Dickinson but I can almost give that dude a pass from full Dog Shit Crusade judgement.

He’s transient and at least seemed to know he was doing something wrong (see how intently he scans the block to see if he’s been caught). I’ve witnessed too many of our dog walking scumbag neighbors show zero guilt or shame as they leave those poop presents behind.

5. SPP July 17, 2014 at 3:57 pm #

“Vigilante” Justice. You people are fucking assholes lol. There is so much more serious shit than dog “poo”. People getting raped, people getting murdered, robberies and muggings… But hey, you’re more worried about you or your kid stepping in a pile of shit. I hope South Philly stays yuppie free, so next time I walk up Passyunk, I’ll make sure to take a shit in front of that store. Hopefully the owner posts it.

• Xtian July 17, 2014 at 7:22 pm #

Dummy, dog shit is absolutely the most critical issue faced by mankind in the history of the world. It’s not a yuppie thing, this cause is Biblical, moron.

• Paging Dr. SPP July 18, 2014 at 9:47 am #

SPP, because no one can multitask or work on several issues at a time?

I’m sort of certain people care more about getting killed, raped or maimed than dog shit.

But theres this idea that you can talk about / improve more than one thing at a time, alien as that concept might be to you…

• Ko July 18, 2014 at 11:15 am #

If you leave your dogs shit in the middle of a sidewalk then you are no better than that shit on the ground. Your type of people should not be allowed pets. You’re scum.

6. Mike July 17, 2014 at 4:11 pm #

I would like to think of myself as responsible dog owner, and – transient or not – this nonsense just grinds my gears, as Peter Griffin would say! It’s not that difficult to pick up after your dog… and if you dog poops next to “something” that someone left behind, pay it forward, and pick that up, too.

7. Dro July 21, 2014 at 5:30 pm #

• AnthonyG July 22, 2014 at 8:43 am #

@Dro is correct. Those are “crusties”, not transients. They probably do live in the area and will continue to let their dogs crap all over the sidewalks. It’s a “lifestyle”, try to live and look like homeless, while actually having a place to live.