What's Happening in:  Passyunk Square

In case you thought 9th and Passyunk was too modest…

Pat’s Steaks is installing a new sign. And oh, brother. That intersection will now be like the surface of the sun, if it’s not already.

Illustrator and South Philly resident Hawk Krall snapped this posted it to his Instagram account:

Pat's sign2

The Insider reports that it will go atop the building facing 9th and Passyunk and rival Geno’s meganeon display:

Why now? ”Just to make them a little crazy,” [owner Frank] Olivieri said, half-joking, in a pointed reference to the other guys.

, , ,

14 Responses to In case you thought 9th and Passyunk was too modest…

1. Dan P. August 13, 2014 at 1:25 pm #

Woo-hoo! Cheesesteak Vegas!*

*not coined by me.

2. Bill August 13, 2014 at 2:08 pm #

Don’t they need a permit for a large neon sign? Or all of these signs for that matter? Or outdoor seating? Where can I go to check for this?

• Jackie August 13, 2014 at 4:26 pm #

They for sure need a permit for a sign of any kind! They’re supposed to post the permit in their window. I wonder if L&I would provide any info on their account.

I just went through getting a permit for a sign for my new business and it was quite difficult to say the least. I would hope they paid their dues and did the right thing.

• David August 13, 2014 at 6:51 pm #

are you for real…what makes you think they don’t have a permit…They have been in business there since 1930…..

3. mjg August 13, 2014 at 3:12 pm #

neon signs….the extent to which they contribute to their neighborhood. that and trash. got to be one of the worst tourist destinations in the country when it comes to sharing the economic benefits.

• Joseeph p August 13, 2014 at 5:37 pm #

I understood that signs like that are NOT permitted on Passyunk ave. All signs need to be lit by floodlight not internally lit, and hang to higher than the bottom of a 2nd story window. NO ROOF SIGNS ALLOWED! I will post the city ord. about it.

4. wlb August 13, 2014 at 10:02 pm #

I was just saying today how I prefer this place over Geno’s because they DONT have any neon… well, guess I was wrong!

5. fast eddie August 13, 2014 at 10:54 pm #

Rendell hasn’t paid for a cheesesteak since he was DA.

Nutter gets paid off with strippers from Club Risque.

But the Inquirer wants to persecute cops and defend drug dealers.

Cheesesteaks are worse for your health than most illegal drugs.

6. joseph p August 14, 2014 at 8:42 am #

City rules for Passyunk ave for 22nd to washington ave.
    Please see #6, line f

• David G August 14, 2014 at 10:48 am #

Joseph, that overlay was voided when the new zoning code came out. That said, CMX-2.5 still prohibits those signs.

7. Mike G August 15, 2014 at 12:23 pm #

This is actually a nice classic neon sign! I think it will make a nice contribution to the neighborhood, at least they didn’t make an ugly giant cheesesteak. And its not the awful color changing LED signs I’ve been seeing going up.

This would fit right in at the neon museum in Vegas. People actually pay to see old neon signs.

8. angdis August 15, 2014 at 12:45 pm #

Great looking sign.

Now if they can just do a better job of keeping their patrons from throw trash everywhere and install a freaking bathroom– that goes for both Pat and Geno’s.

9. Pat K August 19, 2014 at 4:59 pm #

I like this sign a lot better than what they have across the street at Geno’s. Pretty sure this is a recreation of the original Pat’s sign that’s hanging in Jack’s Firehouse.

• AnthonyG August 21, 2014 at 9:32 am #

Agreed! I walked past it last night, it’s a really nice old-style sign. A big improvement over their crappy old sign, without being too big like Geno’s.

@angdis, the patron’s piggish behavior is not Pat’s fault. People should be held accountable for their own actions. Quit trying blame others.