What's Happening in:  Dickinson Square West :  Pennsport

For years now, we’ve been tracking the redevelopment of Mt. Sinai Hospital at 4th and Reed streets.

The Reed Street side

The Reed Street side

Developers at Greenepointe Construction had been planning to convert the structure into upwards of 200 apartments. Now those plans for redevelopment have been nixed and the structure is set to be demolished.

The projected had received approval from civic associations, the Zoning Board of Adjustment and was approved for the variances necessary for the project.

However, the development project did have some problems after a neighbor filed an appeal to the zoning variances back in May. The neighbor soon after filed a discontinuance of the appeal, as she was able to hear more information about the plans for Mt. Sinai after missing the initial community meeting regarding the plans for the site. Since that appeal was filed, there had been little news about the development of the project.

More about the future of the Mt. Sinai site from PlanPhilly:

Apparently any plan to repurpose the existing building has been dropped: on New Year’s Eve, the owners pulled a permit to completely demolish the hospital to create a vacant lot. Dr. James Moylan, the president of Pennsport Civic Association, said that the Concordia Group is behind the latest redevelopment plans, but he couldn’t say exactly what those plans entail. He said he hoped to have updated plans this week.

How do you feel about this long-standing structure being demolished?

We’ll keep you updated as we learn more about what’s happening with the Mt. Sinai site.

, ,

6 Responses to Plans for redevelopment of Mt. Sinai Hospital dropped, site set to be demolished

1. PhillyBorn February 4, 2015 at 1:05 pm #

This is wonderful news. The building is in bad shape and is an eye sore. I’d love to see the space turn into something that tranforms the neigborhood into a more busy pedestrian locale. More foot traffic, safer streets and younger generations will come.

2. Lauren February 4, 2015 at 3:44 pm #

I think it’s great. I’d love a big park rather than the high-end condos. Parking is getting increasingly more difficult every day in this neighborhood, and 200 condos would be a lot for the area. I’d love to see it transformed into something to continue to build the community.

• Lee February 4, 2015 at 5:03 pm #

Not to be pessimistic, but the developer who pulled the permit, Concorida, is probably going put some nasty condo’s on that site. So hopes for a park are probably not very realistic.

The fact that they’re spending the money demo-ing the property means they will probably try to maximize the number of units on the space to make the development financially viable.

I prefered the hodgepodge of the previous concept.

Ah well.

3. Geri kephart February 5, 2015 at 3:05 pm #

So sad to see the brick buildings go and history too. These are developers who are in it for profit not altruism. Probably unattractive townhouses will follow. No sight of brick will be seen.

4. Anthony DiFlorio February 6, 2015 at 8:54 pm #

I was under the impression that there were senior living units in the old building? I’d like to see the original builiding stay (since I was born there) and the ugly addition come down.

5. ProvWitout February 9, 2015 at 2:39 pm #

I love this! You guys can’t read an article without thinking about what I might think about it! And you commented first with a fake comment from me before thinking of an opinion of your own… HaHaHaHa!!! I own you.