footer 1

Surprise! The pope is coming, and South Philly is worried about parking

Parking can sometimes seem as if it’s the only issue on the minds of South Philly residents. It’s usually been a problem when discussing new development projectsbut now there’s a more holy reason for residents to complain.

Birds fan, Pope Francis (Image via Think Progress)

Birds fan, Pope Francis (Image via Think Progress)

For the upcoming papal visit, residents are preparing to “pray to the park gods” that the parking situation won’t be too disastrous.

More from 6ABC:

Cars can drive in, but they can’t leave.

Residents are anticipating people driving in to see the pope will fill already crowded streets with few parking options.

“The parking already, you have to drive around to find a spot, period,” resident D’Quan Young said.

Councilman Kenyatta Johnson’s office covers more than a dozen neighborhoods in the 2nd district and they are receiving a lot of calls with similar concerns.

What are your plans for the weekend of the pope’s visit?

, , ,


4 Responses to Surprise! The pope is coming, and South Philly is worried about parking

  1. Anthony September 11, 2015 at 10:01 am #

    Well, good thing we have strong transit options so people don’t have to drive, unless of course, they are in a profession that requires it. That probably covers about 30% of the drivers, so the other 70% can try riding the subway or a bus…And we can be thankful that something as amazing as the Pope visiting our city!

  2. Tony September 11, 2015 at 10:12 am #

    Honestly just planning on treating it like a snowstorm and just walking/subwaying/biking around the neighborhood that week. Should be an interesting week to say the least.

  3. c.g. September 11, 2015 at 10:20 am #

    The problem with that is transit won’t be running as normal that weekend – many stops/stations will not be available/open, further limiting travel. So no, during the Papal visit, we won’t have strong transit options.

  4. Jo September 11, 2015 at 9:31 pm #

    We are planning to leave our car parked and hang out in our South Philly neighborhood during the Papal visit weekend. There’s plenty to do and places to shop within walking distance. No need to deal with a car or crowds. We are lucky to have options right where we live!

Copyright 2013 Passyunk Post | WordPress customized by Auspicious Consulting