As the year is coming to a close, it’s time for some year-end lists. Philadelphia Magazine shared their “50 Best Restaurants” list for 2016 and, as you would expect, some South Philly spots fared quite well.
East Passyunk Avenue shined through with three restaurants in the top 10 alone, with Laurel taking the top spot for the second year in a row. In total, there are 15 South Philadelphia restaurants represented on the list.
The South Philly rankings from Philly Mag:
1. Laurel, 1617 E. Passyunk Ave.
5. Townsend, 1623 E. Passyunk Ave.
8. Bing Bing Dim Sum, 1648 E. Passyunk Ave.
9. Serpico, 604 South St.
16. Pumpkin, 1713 South St.
17. Will, 1911 E. Passyunk Ave.
18. Bibou, 1009 S. 8th St.
19. Fond, 1537 S. 11th St.
25. Le Virtu, 1927 E. Passyunk Ave.
31. Brigantessa, 1520 E. Passyunk Ave.
33. Good King Tavern, 614 S. 7th St.
45. Bistrot la Minette, 623 S. 6th St.
46. Brauhaus Schmitz, 718 South St.
48. Little Fish, 746 S. 6th St.
50. Ela, 627 S. 3rd St.
Foobooz also noted Stargazy as an honorary 51st best restaurant. Why didn’t it make the top 50?
From the article:
But it’s also not really a restaurant, is it? A couple tables. A haze of flour. Some tea to drink. No service to speak of. The jumble and clutter of a working bakery kitchen spilling out onto the counters.
Not only did South Philly take the top spot on Philly Mag‘s restaurant list, but earlier this year American Sardine Bar ranked as #1 on the “Best Bars in Philadelphia” list. Not too shabby, South Philly.
Were any of your favorite restaurants snubbed?