What's Happening in:  All over South Philly

Beer gardens coming to FDR, Hawthorne parks?

With the cold days of winter upon us, many of you are probably dreaming of hot summer days and enjoying a few drinks at a pop-up garden.

9th and Wharton PHS pop-up garden in 2015.

To add some steam to your current daydreams, here’s some news about the potential for even more beer gardens in South Philly this summer. The Department of Parks and Recreation, along with the Fairmount Park Conservancy, are planning on selecting vendors to operate beer gardens at select parks within the city.

Parks in consideration in South Philadelphia include FDR Park, Jefferson Square and Hawthorne Park.

So what’s the process to get these pop-ups to become a reality? Vendors interested in running food and drink operations at these pop-up gardens need to apply to the program

According to Foobooz, these are a few of the requirements for vendors looking to apply:

• Vendors must have a minimum of three years of experience operating one or more food and beverage venues that are successful and currently in business
  • Vendors must have a current Pennsylvania Liquor Control Board license(s) in good standing

If you’re a vendor interested in operating food and drink services at one of these parks, find out more here. There will also be a meeting for interested vendors on Thursday, February 18 at 10 a.m. at the One Parkway Building at 1515 Arch Street.

, , ,

10 Responses to Beer gardens coming to FDR, Hawthorne parks?

1. Alex February 11, 2016 at 10:14 am #

Nothing like a lovely stroll down south broad street on a steamy summer night to grab a few brews in FDR Park

2. davefame February 11, 2016 at 1:03 pm #

A beer garden and restaurant in the pavilion on the lake at FDR would be amazing. They have the dock down below, right on the water, where they could set up seating too.

• bjguzzi February 11, 2016 at 1:59 pm #

just visualized this idea in my mind and I’m sold.

• Alex February 11, 2016 at 2:47 pm #

As someone who regularly bikes down to the navy yard, I feel like, while a pleasant setting, the trip down at night would not be as fun. It’s such a detached section of town for a lot of people, even with AT&T station there, and crossing broad at that point is not many’s definition of fun. I’d love to be proved wrong, however.

• Brian M. February 13, 2016 at 1:11 pm #

The commute down may not be idyllic but it’s not dreadful either. If you take BSL to ATT station and cross Broad at Pattison, the sidewalk down to FDR is wide and unscathed.

• Sean O'Hearn February 11, 2016 at 5:09 pm #

FDR park is such an underutilized space and has so much potential. You are right the pavilion is a nice spot and the lake is beautiful. I’d love to see it here.

3. Sizuylo February 12, 2016 at 11:26 am #

Jefferson Square is a great location. Between B Vista, Q Village and South Philly. This park and its supporters deserve some love!

4. Lauren J February 12, 2016 at 10:58 pm #

A new place is great, but I was just at Pennsport Beer Boutique and they have a beer garden all the time. I was there during the blizzard. It was great!

5. Johnny February 13, 2016 at 2:53 pm #

I’m sold! I’d take a walk down the to drink on that Pavillion!

6. Donna February 15, 2016 at 10:24 am #

FDR would be a great site. Large and easily accessible. But I’m not into this at Hawthorne. I’d like to see this little gem remain unscathed from commercialism,