What's Happening in:  East Passyunk Crossing

Bok dog park to open this weekend

Big changes have been happening at Bok over the past few months. The first floor of the building at 1901 S. 9th St. is full of tenants, longer-standing businesses like Fringe Salon are making the move there, along with a liquor license application for a permanent restaurant in the Le Bok Fin space on the rooftop.

Now the former school is going to the dogs, with the grand opening of a new dog park outside of Bok happening on Sunday, February 28.

The dog park is a fenced-in space outside of the school at 9th and Dudley. This outdoor space for the community is just one of the projects being completed with the grant money Lindsey Scannapieco and Scout Ltd. received from the Knight Foundation last year. The $146,960 grant is also going towards projects like a new bus shelter, bike repair station and more.

Photo from Scout of the park under construction a few months ago.

If you attend this grand opening with your pooch, you will receive free treats and tennis balls. The grand opening is on Sunday from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.

, , , ,

15 Responses to Bok dog park to open this weekend

1. Steve February 23, 2016 at 10:08 am #

Very cool. It will be nice to have a space in the area…..just hope that everyone will be respectful and only bring dogs that have been properly socialized. I see way too many aggressive dogs in the immediate neighborhood that I would be terrified to let my dog run around with

• bjguzzi February 23, 2016 at 11:30 am #

Ahhh – I’m sure going to miss how private the fenced in areas along Bok were – it was nice to allow our not-so social dog some individual off-leash time for 20 minutes on a Saturday AM. BUT, unfortunately, despite my many attempts to pick up loads and loads of other people’s dog shit, the place was overwhelmingly full of trash and overgrown grass/fleas. It’s very nice to see the direction the outdoor space at Bok is heading.

• Ian February 23, 2016 at 11:54 am #

I feel your pain, although I never brought my dog to those “runs” I always thought the idea could be implemented in a real park. My dog is so so social and not worth the risk in open dog parks but I wish there was separate smaller runs where she could run around and chase a ball solo. Maybe put a time limit on it (like tennis courts). Dog needs the exercise but can’t be with a big group.

• cg February 23, 2016 at 8:58 pm #

perhaps one of the other side areas on Mifflin or 8th can be used for that.

• alex February 24, 2016 at 10:09 am #

sounds like your dog is a perfect city dog.

2. Erik February 23, 2016 at 12:18 pm #

Anyone know if there will be a separation for big and small dogs like at Schuylkill river park?

3. mjg58 February 23, 2016 at 12:42 pm #

fewer schools and more dog parks equals progress

• Nik February 23, 2016 at 4:00 pm #

Give it a rest. The PSD closed the school. The developer is trying to turn it into a community spot.

4. Alison February 23, 2016 at 1:11 pm #

Wait… so to get to the preschool, you have to walk *through* the dog park? That seems like really poor planning.

• Parking Police February 23, 2016 at 1:58 pm #

The dog park ends at the pathway to the preschool door

5. Oc February 24, 2016 at 3:31 pm #

YEEEEEEEESSSSS …..GREEEEEEAT… weeeew… What a relief… I feel great now knowing my kids vocational education was snatched away so dogs can go pee pee potty and so people can go roof top get wasted..DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION YOURE THE REAL M.V.P.

6. GS February 24, 2016 at 5:05 pm #

This is all great but Lynne needs to consider the parking nightmare that’s happening with this multi-use space and designate a portion for parking!

• Parking Police February 26, 2016 at 12:04 pm #

Did someone say Parking?

• LocalResident February 29, 2016 at 12:18 am #

Agreed! I live 1/2 block away, and the parking situation has really become a nightmare.

• mememe March 14, 2016 at 7:33 pm #

Yeah, because before, parking in South Philly was a piece of Italian run cake. Come on.