For a third year, Community Gardens Day is being celebrated in Philadelphia. This event is dedicated to the gardens, both small and large, that embrace and help build community in these neighborhoods.
The Neighborhood Gardens Trust has more than 40 community gardens participating in this year’s events on Saturday, June 18, including 13 in South Philly’s neighborhoods.
- 2124 Fitzwater Street Garden
- Pemberton Street Sitting Garden, 20th and Pemberton
- Fitzwater 2000 Community Garden, 2042-44 Fitzwater St.
- South Street Community Garden, 839 South St.
- Federal Street Garden, 2125 Federal St.
- Growing Together Garden and Farm, 2500 Reed St.
- Bouvier Community Garden, 1346-50 Bouvier St.
- Bel Arbor Community Garden, 1020-40 Kimball St.
- Southwark/Queens Village Community Garden, 311 Christian St.
- Capitolo Community Garden, 10th and Federal
- Passyunk Gardens, 1304 E. Passyunk Ave.
- Community Gardens at Ralph Brooks Park, 1604 S. 20th St.
- East Passyunk Crossing Community Gardens, Neumann-Goretti campus, 1000 block of Watkins St.
Events vary from garden-to-garden. Some will offer tours and advice, while others may host BBQs and other events. At the East Passyunk Crossing Community Garden, you’ll have the chance to take a yoga class in the garden, along with a potluck-style lunch later in the day.
Would you like to explore the city’s gardens on two wheels? You can take a bike tour of some of the city’s gardens on Saturday. Find out more here.
Community Gardens Day runs from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Saturday, June 18. The rain date for the event is on Sunday, June 19. You can find out more on the Neighborhood Garden Trust’s website.