What's Happening in:  East Passyunk Crossing

Long-standing Avenue Cheese Shop to close for good on July 23

A family-run business that has been on East Passyunk Avenue for years is about to close its doors permanently.

Saturday, July 23 is the last day to visit Avenue Cheese Shop, located at 1724 E. Passyunk Ave.

A sign posted in the window of the shop reads:

Dear Valued Customers,

We regret to inform you that Saturday July 23, 2016 is the last day we will be open for business. Thank You for the support over the years. You will be missed but not forgotten. The friendships and memories that were made will last a lifetime.

Sincerely, Sam and Rene

In this 1980′s snapshot, you can spot Avenue Cheese Shop in the background.

If you’d like to visit the shop for one last time to say goodbye, Avenue Cheese Shop’s hours are Tuesday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., Wednesday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., and Saturday from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.

, , ,

6 Responses to Long-standing Avenue Cheese Shop to close for good on July 23

1. Lou_100x July 14, 2016 at 11:57 am #

Bummer. There’s a deli vacuum to be filled.

2. Resident July 14, 2016 at 12:06 pm #

It’s really sad because the original owner did terrific business and was well established in the community. During the holidays, there used to be a line outside the door. It was one of the few places up the Avenue that did good business way back when you couldn’t get anyone up the Avenue. This new owner had a gold mine and could have done so much with this place but didn’t have a clue. You would think with the restaurant resurgence up the Avenue, he could have taken advantage. There is definitely a place for this type of establishment. It’s a shame he didn’t know what to do with it but then again you would have to actually be open up and keep some normal business hours to have a successful business.

3. Brian July 14, 2016 at 1:35 pm #

Perhaps they would have more customers if the shop didn’t look like a mess. The window display was an eyesore. Disgusting.

4. Resident July 14, 2016 at 2:00 pm #

No one could EVER compare to Mikey Cheese!!!!!Truly the best!!!!!!

5. Mike Antonelli July 14, 2016 at 3:27 pm #

It’s such a shame to hear of the closing. I opened in December 1978 and worked very hard to create a successful business. The thing I miss most of all are the wonderful relationships that we created there. People weren’t just customers they became real good friends and just like family. I always look back with many fond memories and sincerely thank all of you for being a big part of my life. Best to all, Mike Antonelli

6. Anthony July 14, 2016 at 4:03 pm #

I’m a relatively new resident and I’m sad to see this go. I love the older places. I tried going a couple of times and they were closed. Also, I went in after work one time and there wasn’t much in there. I did hear the cheese was excellent. Sad I never connected with the place. Best of luck to the owners!