Friday, May 4
- 7:00 pm – 9:30 pm. 3rd Annual Spirits & History at Gloria Dei (Old Swede’s Church), 916 Swanson St. Hear stories of the Swedish trailblazers now resting at Old Swede’s graveyard while tasting spirits matched to their life-and-times. Food & drink, story telling and jazz. Proceeds benefit the preservation of Gloria Dei Church. Get tickets at the door, or here.
Saturday, May 5th
- Anytime today! It’s Cinco de Mayo, check out this comprehensive guide to Mexican South Philly.
- 10 am – 1 pm. Kentucky Derby Shred- It Event at Nebinger School 601 Catharine St. Bring your old documents to their final reward. Shredding is free, though donations to the school are welcome!
- 10 am – 11:30am. Point Breeze: More Than Just Gentrification. This free walking tour is part of the annual Jane’s Walk Philadelphia series. The tour will visit locations that “illuminate Point Breeze’s colorful past and evolving future and discuss positive and negative impacts of the neighborhood’s rapid development on its diverse residents.” Meet walk leader Yvie Jones at the Keith Haring ‘We Are the Youth’ mural located at 22nd and Ellsworth. Rain or shine. More here.
- 12 pm – 2 pm. Exploring South Philly: Whitman and Pennsport. Another free Jane’s Walk Philadelphia tour. Led by Bea Segal, this tour’s highlights include two schools, three historic religious buildings, and Dickinson Square. Meet at John H. Taggart School, 400 W. Porter Street. More details here.
- 11 am – 8 pm. South Street Headhouse District Spring Festival. Kick-off the festival season at this 12-block street party in Headhouse Square and along South Street from Front to 8th Street. Features: 30 restaurants/bars serving food and drink outside, over 125 boutiques and businesses, dozens of bands at several stages, and artists selling their handmade wares. In conjunction with the Festival, Brauhaus Schmitz will host the 6th annual German Maifest on the 700 block of South Street, with German beer, dancing, music, food, flower headbands and a Maypole. At Atomic City Comics, 638 South Street, look for free giveaways and super hero sightings celebrating Free Comic Book Day. South Street Family Zone sponsored by Shipt will have fun games and play areas for little ones.
Sunday, May 6th
- 7:45 am. 19th Annual Dunkin’ Munchkin Run at the Broad Street Run. This race for children ages 6 – 12 gives participants a chance to run in the picturesque Philadelphia Navy Yard, finishing with a flourish at the Blue Cross Broad Street Run finish line. Registration information and more details here.
- 8 am – Afternoon. Blue Cross Broad Street Run. Watch the race and cheer on the runners. Entertainment and refreshments are available along the course and at the finish line.
- 2 pm – 3:30 pm. South Street Legacy Business Stroll. This free Jane’s Walk tour, led by Shannon Pitt of the Young Friends of the Preservation Alliance, begins at Head House Square, 2nd and Pine St. More details here.