by Carolyn Huckabay for the Passyunk Post
Looking for a new local happy hour spot? How about five in one afternoon? That’s what you’ll find this Saturday, June 30 from 3 p.m. to 6 p.m at Kitchen Crawl: A Traveling Cocktail Party. Hosted by the South Philly Food Co-op, the event is part progressive happy hour, part South Philly homes-and-gardens tour, and part sneak peek at the future home of South Philly’s only member-owned-and-operated grocery store.
Kitchen Crawlers will start their journey at 2031 S. Juniper St., where the Co-op will open as soon as its Capital Campaign fundraising goal is met. After check-in, guests will receive a map of the libation destinations which include some of South Philly’s coolest rowhomes. All homes are owned by Co-op member-owners and will be well-stocked with special snacks and sips.
On the menu:
- Summery cocktails from Thirsty Soul, the new cocktail bar and comfort food spot opening this summer at 16th and West Passyunk
- Savory pickled snacks and refreshing fermented beverages from fermentation expert/Co-op member Amanda Feifer O’Brien of Phickle
- White, red and pepperoni pizza from LaScala’s Birra on East Passyunk Avenue
- Chocolate Sweet Tahini Halva Spread (aka sesame seed’s answer to Nutella) from the globally-inspired, sister-owned, Philly-based tahini company Soom
- Vegan gazpacho shooters from local chef/Co-op member Laura Frangiosa
- Locally made wine from Nuthouse Wines
- Savory bites from Home Appetit, a local food-delivery company
- Sweet treats from Essen Bakery
- Fair-trade coffee from the worker-owned co-op Equal Exchange
- Beer from Pistolas Del Sur, located just around the corner from the Co-op
All sip stops are within a half-mile of the Co-op, and each ticket also includes a tour of the space, which was recently framed out by local contractor Buckminster Green (pro tip: Follow their Instagram account for tons of home renovation inspiration). To learn more about the Co-op’s two-phase construction plan, check out their June 2018 newsletter.
The South Philly Food Co-op is a community of 916 South Philadelphia member-owner households (and counting!) working together to open a grocery store that uses food as a force for good. The store will be located at 2031 S. Juniper St., steps from three commercial corridors — Passyunk Avenue, Snyder Avenue and Broad Street — and just one block from SEPTA’s Broad Street Line. The Co-op is in the midst of a Capital Campaign to raise $1 million in order to open, stock and staff the store. You can help by becoming a member-owner or making a member loan pledge.