Yoga, healing, and a new Wawa. All with a side of figs and red gravy.
Compiled by Josephine Cardillo
A look at some upcoming events taking place in South Philly. Click on event titles for more details.
- All day, Wawa grand opening, 9th and South Streets.
- 7 pm, World-renowned Australian Healer Alan Ames, 2917 Dickinson Street. St. Gabriel Church will host event to include Mass, talk, adoration, rosary and healing service. More info: alanames.org or call St. Gabe’s at 215.463.4060.
- 10:15-11:15 am, Amrita Yoga & Wellness – SOSNA Works Out, 2306 South Street. Take a 75-minute yoga class for $10 in new studio. Tickets here.
- 6 pm, A Night at the Races, St. Anthony of Padua School Hall – 913 Pierce Street. For $10 admission, enjoy buffet dinner, coffee/tea, dessert, live entertainment, a silent auction and games. BYOB. Must be 21 years old. For tickets, stop by rectory at 910 Watkins, or call 215.463.1326.
- 10 am-1 pm –Second Annual Fig Fest, South Philly High School – 2101 South Broad Street. A festive gathering celebrating the beloved FIG! We’ll cover the origins, history, and care of this delicious fruiting shrub, then cover fig propagation hands-on with cultivator Jeannette DiMeo. Attendees will leave with their very own cutting to grow at home, as well as handouts on their seasonal care and use. Read more about the event and register.
- 4-6 pm, Red Gravy Cook-Off, Ss. Neumann-Goretti High School, 11th & Moore Streets. Taste 10 homemade gravies from local home cooks. Price of admission features samples of each competing sauce as well as a full serving of your choice over macaroni cooked by Mama Maria, vegan meatballs from Triangle Tavern bread, salad, and dessert buffet. Purchase tickets here.
- 8-11 pm, Community Drafts, Lucky 13 Pub – 1820 South 13th Street. Take part in the April edition of this monthly open-mic for all artists of all genres. Sign-ups begin at 7:30 pm. Phone: 215.336.8467
- 5-8 pm, B(VNA) My Neighbor Happy Hour! Al Zaytouna – 906 Christian Street. For more info.
- 3/19 through 9/27 – Tuesday-Friday every week. Steve Coleman and Five Elements will be doing a six-month Philly residency at South Philly Barbacoa. They are a jazz combo reminiscent of Thelonius Monk. 1140 South Ninth Street. 215.360.5282