UPDATE (again): Just got word that the valet stands at the fountain and in front of Cantina will be open, just don’t tell MADD.
So, you wanna go out for New Year’s, but you wanna be able to stumble home. Ditto. In that case, here are a smattering of events within stumbling distance, roughly in descending order of personal interest. If we’ve missed something, please leave it in the comments.
1) Eater reported that Chef Christopher Lee is launching a series of pop-up dinners at Salt & Pepper, which we told you will be eventually called Sophia, on New Year’s. With the new overhauled the kitchen, Lee will offer a four-course dinner at 6 and 6:30 p.m. for $45. The 9 p.m. seating will be $75. Both come with a champagne toast. UPDATE: Check out the menu on Meal Ticket.
3) Connie’s Ric Rac: Johnny Showcase and the Lefty Lucy Cabaret with the West Philly Orchestra. $25, or $30 including a Balkan buffet. Profileengine.com describes the showcase thusly: “The show that has redefined the notion of talent and nontalent, it’s like a Prairie Home Companion, but with a dry martini, Jerzy Grotowski, and a fading vomit stain on your lapel.”
4) Royal Tavern: CORRECTION: Choose Your Own Happy Hour. 2 hours of open bar for $25 per person between 11 p.m. and 2 a.m.
5) Le Virtu: Capodanno (New Year’s Eve): “La Festa di San Silvestro” 4-course meal, no timed seatings. $75 per person
7) Cantina los Caballitos. Choose Your Own Happy Hour. You pick a time – 2 hours of open bar for $25 per person.
8) Adobe Cafe: Special NYE Karaoke at 9:30. (For all its faults, Adobe has badass karaoke)
10) Fountain Porter: Beer specials and free champagne.
12) Stogie Joe’s: NYE party with drink specials and DJ Louie T
13) Kris: New Year’s Eve 4 course dinner for $50 per person.
14) Chickie and Pete’s: DJs and live music. Buffet, topshelf bar, champagne toast. Two options: $150 all-inclusive package for two people or pay as you go
15) And then to fight the fire (hangover) with fire (beer), Ray’s Happy Birthday Bar: New Year’s Day Karaoke starting at noon.
- Caroline Voyles, @CarolineVoyles
UPDATED: Here are some more goings on for New Year’s:
Sidecar Bar & Grille is hosting brunch on both NYE and NYD and will be open until 2 a.m. both days.
SoWe is having a three-course prix fixe dinner for $55. Open bar packages are available. Also, a New Year’s Day brunch from 10-4. Football will be on.
Chick’s Social is featuring a special NYE a la carte dinner menu. Free champagne for the 10 p.m. seating as they screen the Times Square celebrations. http://www.chickssocial.net/event.html
Tashan wants you to reserve your seats now for a Mummer’s Parade brunch on New Year’s Day. Watch the parade while you eat! Bar starts pouring at 11am and brunch goes until 2:30. Regular menus resume after ward.
The Industry – Open from 4pm-2am on NYE – Burgers and Bubbles all night long, free champagne at midnight. NYD brunch from 11-4.
Kennett – 4 courses, 4 meals NYE dinner.
2nd Street Brew House – Buffet, DJ, drink specials, free “champagne of beers” toast at midnight. Watch the 2 Street parade from the bar, DJ Dan Bucciarelli spinning all night.