Friday, May 4
- 7:00 pm – 9:30 pm. 3rd Annual Spirits & History at Gloria Dei (Old Swede’s Church), 916 Swanson St. Hear stories of the Swedish trailblazers now resting at Old Swede’s graveyard while tasting spirits matched to their life-and-times. Food & drink, story telling and jazz. Proceeds benefit the preservation of Gloria Dei Church. Get tickets at the door, or here.
Saturday, May 5th
- Anytime today! It’s Cinco de Mayo, check out this comprehensive guide to Mexican South Philly.
- 10 am – 1 pm. Kentucky Derby Shred- It Event at Nebinger School 601 Catharine St. Bring your old documents to their final reward. Shredding is free, though donations to the school are welcome!
- 10 am – 11:30am. Point Breeze: More Than Just Gentrification. This free walking tour is part of the annual Jane’s Walk Philadelphia series. The tour will visit locations that “illuminate Point Breeze’s colorful past and evolving future and discuss positive and negative impacts of the neighborhood’s rapid development on its diverse residents.” Meet walk leader Yvie Jones at the Keith Haring ‘We Are the Youth’ mural located at 22nd and Ellsworth. Rain or shine. More here.
- 12 pm – 2 pm. Exploring South Philly: Whitman and Pennsport. Another free Jane’s Walk Philadelphia tour. Led by Bea Segal, this tour’s highlights include two schools, three historic religious buildings, and Dickinson Square. Meet at John H. Taggart School, 400 W. Porter Street. More details here.