E-cigarette retailer opening in former deli on 10th Street

The corner storefront at 1525 S. 10th St., the former Joe Eni grocery and deli at 10th and Cross streets, is poised to become an e-cigarette store.

Yep, those exist.

Hoping to open in a few weeks.
Hoping to open in a few weeks.

John Poole, a partner in the venture, said the store will carry up to 100 varieties of e-cigarettes, those smokeless tobacco do-hickies that emit water vapor. There are also “thousands of accessories” and more than 200 flavors available, he said. Flavors include passion fruit, cotton candy, bubble gum, gummy bear, Atomic Fireball and orange cream soda.

Poole already has locations in Roxborough and Upper Darby called Ecigg. He said that the South Philly store owner, Vy Sovann, is doing some minor renovations but plans to keep some of the historical details inside. (UPDATE: or maybe not, see comments below)

E-cigarette use, now being called “vaping” by afficianados, doubled in U.S. teens from 2011 to 2012, the CDC says. Maybe this means Jenny McCarthy really does have star power.

And no, Poole says, the shop will not sell products intended for vaping marijuana. “We’re against that,” he said.

One interesting note about this store, it’s only a few doors down from a cigar shop, Twin Smoke Shoppe, at 10th and Tasker since 1950, though Poole said that shop wasn’t a factor in choosing this location.

Thanks to the storefront’s listing agent, Frank Altamuro of Coldwell Banker Preferred, for help in tracking this info down.

12 thoughts on “E-cigarette retailer opening in former deli on 10th Street

• December 5, 2013 at 10:52 am

While I’m happy to read that they intend to keep the integrity of the vintage detailing in that great space, I am scratching my head a bit about their business. If I had a dollar for everyone I’ve seen smoking e-cigs in s. philly, I’d be $2 richer. Also, not selling vapes for cannabis is akin to a bakery only selling cookies – you’re shutting out the majority of people that would walk through your doors.

• December 5, 2013 at 11:22 am

these vapes use mainly liquid while cannabis vapes need plant matter. vaping is quite popular in the younger generation. perhaps they aren’t as noticeable since they don’t stand outside to smoke. on the bright side you’re not burning plant matter so there is less tar and less of a risk for lung cancer, which is great

• December 5, 2013 at 1:05 pm

You can put hash oil in e-cigs. Also tons of people use e-cigs (in South Philly) and will appreciate this business, as the only place to get any supplies locally seems to be online, from semi reliable sites.

• December 5, 2013 at 2:01 pm

Not so nice addition to the area.

• December 5, 2013 at 4:28 pm

At first, I was a bit skeptical with it being right up the street from the cigar shop, but it brings in two completely different clientele, so I couldn’t see any conflict. I’m glad to see more vape shops open, definitely better/cleaner than smoking cigarettes.

• December 5, 2013 at 10:21 pm

funny I vape and make my own juice yet the only thing is in the juice are pg vg n food flavoring and nic if you want it added in. So why you not jumping on cigar and CIG smoker which contain more deadler substances boggles my mind.

• December 6, 2013 at 10:14 am

I peeked in, it sure doesn’t look like they saved ANY of the antique details. The whole place is gutted and sheetrocked.

• December 20, 2013 at 3:43 pm

The shop has been completely gutted. No original details remain. It’s a real shame architecturally and generally a bad addition to the neighborhood.

• December 12, 2013 at 11:34 am

Sad to see another old school spot close.

• December 12, 2013 at 1:45 pm

@Rob: Joe Eni’s hadn’t been open in over 5 years. Even 10 years ago, when it was open, it really wasn’t much of store. More of a hobby and a place to socialize.

Comments are closed.