When it comes to lists of top restaurants in the city, South Philly’s dining options usually rank quite well. Philly Mag’s 2016 list of “50 Best Restaurants” highlights the greatest in the city, including many of the delights in our neighborhoods. In total, 15 South Philly restaurants are represented.
Many of the restaurants are old standards to “best of” lists, while some others are new this year. Hungry Pigeon, Stargazy and Coeur are all first timers. The East Passyunk Avenue meat pie shop did get a nod last year, but didn’t rank because it was previously stated that Stargazy is, “not really a restaurant, is it?”
The rankings, from Philly Mag:
1. Laurel, 1617 E. Passyunk Ave.
5. Townsend, 1623 E. Passyunk Ave.
7. Serpico, 604 South St.
12. Bing Bing Dim Sum, 1648 E. Passyunk Ave.
19. Pumpkin, 1713 South St.
20. Will, 1911 E. Passyunk Ave.
21. Bibou, 1009 S. 8th St.
27. Fond, 1537 S. 11th St.
28. Le Virtu, 1927 E. Passyunk Ave.
29. Hungry Pigeon, 743 S. 4th St.
30. Stargazy, 1838 E. Passyunk Ave.
33. Brigantessa, 1520 E. Passyunk Ave.
35. The Good King Tavern, 614 S. 7th St.
42. Coeur, 824 S. 8th St.
46. Ela, 627 S. 3rd St.