Now that Spring is finally here you might be looking for a quiet green space where you can enjoy the sunshine. Curbed Philly posted a great list of 25 ‘secret’ parks and green spaces in the city. South Philly was represented by eight sites from six neighborhoods:
- Hawthorne Park in Hawthorne
- Catharine Park and Julian Abele Park in Graduate Hospital
- Manton Street Park & Garden in Dickinson Square West
- Bardascino Park in Bella Vista
- Karen Donnelly Park in Pennsport
- Paolone Park and Harry O’s Passyunk Gardens in Passyunk Square
We can think of a few ‘extra-secret’ South Philly spots missing from the list:
- Ridgway Park tucked behind CAPA at 13th & Carpenter in Hawthorne, with its wonderful shade trees, a playground and a pool.
- Mollbore Terrace – actually two separate green spaces located between Oregon Avenue and Johnston Street, 10th and 13th Streets.
- Weinberg Park – a tiny green triangle on the border of Lower Moyamensing and Whitman.
- Moyamensing Avenue medians – this linear green space divides Moyamensing Ave. from 15th to 20th.
Can you think of others? Let us know in the comments below, and check out Curbed Philly’s piece here.