Compiled by Josephine Cardillo
If you have an event you’d like us to include on our weekly events round-up, please send us an email at email@example.com
Friday, June 29
- 7 p.m. CrazyForSwayze – Dirty Dancing at South Street Cinema, 327 South Street. Pop-up cinema “brings classic films, cult favorite and campy cinema to Philadelphia’s boulevard of entertainment.”
Saturday, June 30
- 10 a.m. (earlier in hot weather) – Gardening at South Philly High. Dedicated groups work in both gardens. For more info, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 2 p.m. Super Saturday Matinee: CrazyForSwayze – Tall Tale at South Street Cinema, 327 South Street. Pop-up cinema “brings classic films, cult favorite and campy cinema to Philadelphia’s boulevard of entertainment.”
- 3 p.m. – 6 p.m. Kitchen Crawl: A Traveling Cocktail Party. Traveling dinner party, offering samples and sips of Philly’s local food scene at homes of South Philly Food Co-op member-owners. Benefits South Philly Food Co-op. Check-in at 2031 South Juniper Street, $30-$40. Read more here.
- 8 p.m. CrazyForSwayze- Steel Dawn at South Street Cinema, 327 South Street. Pop-up cinema “brings classic films, cult favorite and campy cinema to Philadelphia’s boulevard of entertainment.”
- 10 a.m. World Cup screening parties continue on Saturday and Sunday, June 30 & July 1, at Bardascino Park, 10th and Carpenter streets.
- 12:30 p.m. & 3 p.m. The Italian Market Project, is a 90-minute interactive adventure for audiences of eight to 10 people. Learn about the past, present and future of the Market while enjoying snacks, beverages and puzzles. Five shows a weekend, now extended through July 15. Find more information here.
- 12 p.m. Wawa Welcome America’s Citywide Read at Your Library! Thomas F. Donatucci, Sr. Library, 1935 Shunk Street. Join in the fun with book giveaways, read-alouds, coloring books, temporary tattoos, and more!
- 2:30 p.m. Movies Mondays. South Philadelphia Library, 1700 South Broad Street. Beat the heat and watch a G or PG movie on the big screen!
- 3 p.m. #slayinspirecreate, Charles Santore Library, 932 South 7th Street. Come slay the art game! Inspire and be inspired by finding the artist within you by creating with us in #SlayInspireCreate.
- 6 p.m. Health Mondays / What’s the Deal with Sugar? Fumo Family Library, 2437 South Broad Street. Addressing misconceptions and questions regarding sugar and refined sugars.
- 6:30 p.m. Yoga, Charles Santore Library, 932 South 7th Street. Yoga with a certified instructor. New and seasoned practitioners welcome.
- 10:30 a.m. Baby Storytime. South Philadelphia Library, 1700 South Broad Street. A lap-sit storytime with stories, songs, and bounces for babies and their caregivers. Daycares and groups please call the children’s librarian at 215-685-1866 to make an appointment.
- 11 a.m. Toddler and Preschool Storytime, Charles Santore Library, 932 South 7th Street. Music and dancing, stories and songs.
- 2 p.m. DIY Tuesdays: Crafting. Thomas F. Donatucci, Sr. Library, 1935 Shunk Street. Make a new craft and discover the artist in you!
- 2 p.m. Teen Corner, Fumo Family Library, 2437 South Broad Street. Each Tuesday Teens can participate in a different activity and win prizes. This week: create a stop motion animation 30 second commercial with the library’s iPads.
- 2 p.m. Teen Gardening Club, Whitman Library, 200 Snyder Ave. Teens, help spruce up Whitman’s yard with flowers, plants, and other natural fauna! Please wear closed-toe shoes. For ages 12-19.
- 3:30 p.m. Teen Voice Tuesdays. Thomas F. Donatucci, Sr. Library, 1935 Shunk Street. How do you share your voice? Check out the teen summer Book & Media Chat, Real Talk, Art Club and Poet’s Pen & Writer’s Block.
- 10 a.m. Construction Club, Fumo Family Library, 2437 South Broad Street. Children aged eight and younger, accompanied by a caregiver, are invited to join us as we build with wooden blocks, magnetic tiles, Lincoln Logs, Mega Bloks, and more, with people, animals, and vehicles to inhabit their creations!
- 10:30 a.m. Movers and Shakers Storytime. South Philadelphia Library, 1700 South Broad Street. Dance, listen, and sing along in this active storytime for independent movers.
- 2 p.m. Jetsetter Thursdays. Thomas F. Donatucci, Sr. Library, 1935 Shunk Street. Get your passport stamped without leaving the library! We will set off to discover a new country each Thursday. Discover the food, music, language, culture and wildlife of faraway places.
- 4 p.m. Crafternoon, Whitman Library, 200 Snyder Ave. A new story and craft every week. For children and families. Children under seven must be accompanied by an adult.
- 10:30 a.m. Coffee & Coloring, Whitman Library, 200 Snyder Ave. Color away your stress and enjoy a beverage with other community members. All coloring supplies, tea, and coffee will be provided.
- 2:30 p.m. Family Flicks | Ratatouille, Fumo Family Library, 2437 South Broad Street. Each Friday (except the second Friday of the month) the Fumo branch shows a different family-friendly film . They serve popcorn. Bring your own beverage.
All summer long…
Note: some on-going events may not be held due to the July 4th holiday. Be sure to check individual schedules.
- 5:30 p.m. Woofstock Concert Series at Seger Park, 10th and Lombard streets. Weekly concert series welcomes dog owners and community members alike. Enjoy live music and dinner and drinks from local food trucks. Through August 28. Hosted by the members of Seger Dog Park. Next concert: July 10th.
- 6:15 p.m. – 7:15 p.m. Free Evening Yoga, Palumbo Park, 723 Catharine Street. Offered Tuesdays in July and August at Palumbo Park, 6:15-7:15 pm. Next Yoga: July 10th.
Tuesday – Sunday
- Visit the Pippi Longstocking Gallery at the American Swedish Historical Museum to introduce you child to the beloved children’s book character. This dedicated gallery brings to life the whimsical world of iconic Swedish author Astrid Lindgren with exhibits and a museum scavenger hunt. The museum is located in FDR Park, at Broad and Pattison Ave.
- 3 pm to 7 pm. Fountain Farmers’ Market at the “Singing Fountain,” East Passyunk Avenue at Tasker. Hosted by Farm to City, this market offers a variety of locally-grown, fresh produce every week.
- 7:30 p.m. Summer Mummers Concert Series. Mummers Museum, 1100 South 2nd Street. Thursday evenings from May through September, the Mummers Museum, holds a free outdoor string band concert under the stars. Bring your family, some lawn chairs, and sit back and enjoy the music. Refreshments served at 7:30 p.m., concert begins at 8:00 p.m. In the event of inclement weather, the concert will be held indoors. Note: no concert July 7th.