As you’ve likely heard, schools and recreation centers in Philadelphia are closed to the public through at least March 27 to help stem the impact of Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19). Many youth 18 & under rely on breakfast and lunch offered at their schools. Starting Monday, March 16, select sites in South Philadelphia will serve as meal pick-up locations while schools are closed.
Up to two shelf-stable meals for youth are available at these South Philly schools Monday through Friday, from 9 a.m. – Noon:
- Delaplaine McDaniel School—1801 S. 22nd Street, 19145
- George Sharswood School—2300 S. 2nd Street, 19148
- Vare-Washington Elementary School—1198 S. 5th Street, 19147
Four Parks & Recreation sites in South Philly will provide grab-and-go meals to young people ages 18 and under. The sites are open from 2 p.m. to 6 p.m., with meals distributed at 3 p.m. each day. The four South Philly sites are:
- East Passyunk Recreation Center — 1025 Mifflin Street, 19148
- Guerin Recreation Center — 2201 S. 16th Street, 19145
- Hawthorne Cultural Center — 1200 Carpenter Street, 19147
- Marian Anderson Recreation Center — 740 S 17th Street, 19146
These efforts are being coordinated by the School District, Philadelphia Parks & Recreation, the City’s Office of Children and Families, and other partners.